Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Oct 2012 22:27:07 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Still Friday, sort of OT...why I like BMWs

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 9:20 PM, Ben T <syncro@gmail.com> wrote:

> The last powertrain project manager for BMW and now running the BMW hybrid > division drives a tintop Syncro with a Subaru SVX engine. I'm paraphrasing > but he essentially said it was the right tool for the job. :-) >

I like the Beemers, too. I have, in my barn yard, a 2002 that my wife owns....Not a model year 2002 but an actual 2002 model BMW sedan '77, I recall, maybe..--...the old boxy one with the simple 4 banger, much like my inline VW 4 motor. I owned that vehicle for some years as my Good Car, but I used to come home from work (in my carpenter's truck) and find it gone from our yard....my wife would be driving it around, rather than HER truck (back in Wyoming, everyone drives trucks)....So I asked her to take it over and she's loved that car for 15yrs.....but never wanted to take care of it at all...As mentioned, many small electrical issues with the lights and signals....nothing with the dead simple carbed motor till it finally needed rebuild....She had a rebuild put in and kept driving it and driving it.....Hauling bales of hay in the trunk, took the back seat out to carry around all the dogs, HER new truck....... That car handled like a dream when I owned it, and was pretty darn fast....

One day she goes..."Hey my car's been making a weird noise, can you look at it?" One of the corners had rusted away, the rear suspension was no longer attached to the body. The left rear wheel was rubbing on the top of the trunk inside. For a week or two...

She goes...."I love this car, can't you fix it? You build race cars and boats and houses....can't you fix it?" After some thought, I called my chassis building friend, the guy who did the cage in my racecar...tell him the problem and ask if he'd take a look.....Trailer it to the shop, come back in a week and he's bent and welded in some tubes inside the trunk...they carry the suspension attachments and she's good to go for another 5yrs or so..But Rust Never Sleeps.... It's now like a Flintstones car....you can see through the floor to the ground....A real shame that that era German cars have so many rust issues...Someone gave her a Subaru, a Forester with big dimples all over from a desert hailstorm and about a million miles on it....More her style car...gas it and drive it,,,,nada mas..... So now the Beemer sits, all forlorn, unused....Nobody loves little shoeboxes those like we do with the Vanagons, though I do see some that are restored and there are a few racing still.... Friday post. Don Hanson