Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Oct 2012 09:53:40 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Purchase price is just the down payment
Comments: To: turbowesty <turbowesty@gmail.com>

I think $20 Grand is a bit much to put dependability and enjoyment at. While mine is no 'gold-plater' by any means, it's semi-respectable looking, liveable, and I drive it all over without any worries...Total cost so far is about $4000 and a week or two of my time making improvements. $3k was what I bought it for, $300 more for some Westie stuff inside and I went off on a 3 month trip within a couple of weeks of buying it....without any major issues. $600 later on on a whim to put a bigger newer motor in...that is about it in 3yrs of owning and driving perhaps 60k miles with only one alternator failure....

I could see paying Go Westie about $20 K for one of their total restoration Westies...(not $60k like they sometimes want) but just to get a decent Vanagon, one that works well, I don't think you need to budget any twenty thousand dollars, unless you are very particular and quite timid about your vehicles and driving them.