Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Oct 2012 13:12:18 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Purchase price is just the down payment

I couldn't agree more. @ $12K Cnd. purchase price, my '88 started, steered, stopped, but with things like old brake hoses, rotted muffler, 1/2 full cat, fuel hoses, none-op fridge, bad LP tank, etc., etc., the parts list added up pretty quick.

My MO tends to be "while I'm in there" but I've quelled that somewhat. Even so, for me to trust a Vanagon, I find that I end up doing a lot of things to get it where I want it. Like what's the point of doing calipers/rotors/pads and not do radius bushings/sleeves if they look border line? (turns out they were worn past the rubber into sleeves)

Am currently dealing with what looks like a poor caulking job on a repair done not too long ago. (I don't see any rust at that seam ..... yet) I could easily have missed that and it would have cost me in the long run (rust) That seam leaks like a sieve. As we all know, seams are just one of the things one should deal with sooner than later.

It's a nearly endless list. From my POV, I can see $20K for parts and labour. I don't want to know what I've put into this bus already, but I foresee $5K in parts AND some labour, to get it where I want it. And that's not even new wheels/tires. (though they are ok, 15" or 16" would be better)

Neil.