Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Oct 2012 16:05:20 -0700
From:         Roland <syncronicity1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Purchase price is just the down payment
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Hi Dennis,

Many of the repairs were done by a local shop: - the transmission, of course the rebuild, but also the R&R since I don't really have that capability -- total of around $2,250 - the new head, I guess I could have given it a shot, but pretty sure I would have messed something up but that was over $1,000 - each smog test, most times I give it a shot myself: new plugs, oil change, oxygen sensor, new CAT (things I can do), but then I take it to the smog test and it fails. So I end up needing somebody to tune it with a smog test device for pre-test which one of the local shops has. - one time it would not start, so I tried various things for a couple of weekends, had to tow it to a shop to fully diagnose and they did the repair (new ECU).

I do as much as I can myself, but I am capable for mostly the lighter weight stuff. So I did the stereo, the sound proofing, install jump seat, repainted the fiberglass bumper covers, replaced the water pump, and dozens of other lighter tasks, etc.

But viewing your point in another way, I definitely agree with you, that over a 7 year interval, with over 200,000 miles to expect far greater repair costs on average. I spent about 6 months searching and waiting for the right Vanagon, and went 480 miles away to pick it up. It was in really good shape, the PO had a folder with dozens of repair receipts, many of them preventative, I think I got a better one.

Roland