Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Oct 2012 18:59:15 -0700
From:         Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Swapping out the alternator and fun with a pivot bolt

Hey all,

Just want to let you know that I finally got the new (rebuilt) alternator swapped in my 91 Westy. I wanted to relay my method so that those of you who are dummies like me might have an easier time of it when your time comes. And it will come....

Three weeks ago I decided to tackle the problem of replacing the alternator with one from The Bus Depot and so I removed all of the junk in the rear area over the engine bay. Tossed the pad and matt over the rear seat and had a look.

I remembered before tackling the electrical connections to go up front and remove the battery connections so there would be know damage to any of the system. That's the straight forward part.

Now the electrical on the alternator is fairly easy the large connections are one nut and washer. I suggest you grab your digital camera and take a couple of pics of how everything is wired up so you'll have a reference. But it's fairly simple.

So I removed the large wire connections with no issues. Then the smaller connections on the smaller post were easily removed and put carefully into a baggie so they wouldn't get missplaced.

After a general inspection I realized I didn't have to remove any of the other belts and all I had to do was loosen the lower pivot nut to bolt on the bottom which is easily done by using a 13mm socket and a short 3" extention though the power steering belt. Once slightly loosened then the 13mm can be used to loosen the alternator adjusting bolt and the larger toothed bolt can be turned (I used a cresent wrench for this). Just rotate it or remove it completely like I did and then you can push the alternator down to get the belt off the pulley.

Well, then it came to the bottom pivot bolt which I could not figure out how to get to with the box end wrench. After much internet searching and finally asking the list I was assured that I should be able to reach the front bolt top behind the alternator base with no problem. Well this didn't happen until the next weekend and I finally realized that all I had to do was shift the alternator all the way it would go to the left and down and I could indeed slip the 13mm box end over the top bolt coming from down the right side and the alternator and to the left of the power steering pump. It just fits in there to hold the bolt from turning while on the rear side of the alternator you fit the 13mm socket on the nut and loosen and remove and viola! The bolt slid out the back with very little persuasion from a narrow diameter magnet retrieval device that I had in my tool set.

Great! Now I was able to get the alternator out. Okay, after much reading on the internet again, I found that my best option to get the pulley nut off was to just take it to a tire store and have them air wrench it off and put on the new one. Trust me on this.... it is the best way to go. So I went down to the local Big O and the guy had me leave it there as it was a Saturday and they were busy. So I did and picked up the alternator with it's the pulley transferred to it and to top it off the guy didn't charge me anything.... Cool!

So I got the alternator back to my garage and started putting it back in and realized that getting the pivot bolt back in wasn't going to be as easy as taking it out. Uggg!

So that's where I left it for that weekend and during the week when I could glossed over google and the archives for any info that would give me the tip I needed. No luck...

So, this weekend I finally got to look at the engine bay again and tried as I did the previous week to feed the bolt in and lay it gently down and then carefully align the alternator. Dang! Every time I tried to touch the bolt it would just roll away and then I'd have to remove the alternator and realign it again. I did this several times as I had the week before to no avail.

So let's take a break and think about it some more....

I finally got back out to the garage and really looked at what I was working with and decided that the bolt had to be directly aimed at the hole so I looked around for something that would hold it level with the hole on the head side of the bolt. A cap...no.... then I thought of something that might work better. I was a piece of foam from old length of pipe wrap. I tore that off and set it down on the engine and lay the bolt head on it with it started in the pivot hole. I tried this a few time and was still unable to get the bolt stay still and go in the hole. Drat!!!! And a few other misc. explicatives....

Now I'm not sure how I came on the thought but I needed something to try and hold the bolt still while reaching with my fingers. So a grabbed a long flat bladed screwdriver and slid it down toward the readjusted bolt on the left side and reach in with my right hand and carefully nudged the bolt to the hole. It felt like it might be going in but it stopped and would not go very far.

So I rechecked the hole alignment up front with the same pivot bolt and got an eyeball view of how it should align. I then tried again and with very little effort was able to get the bolt to go into the hole and was able to slide it along with the screwdriver keeping it from slipping away.

Whew! I was delighted indeed.

So use some kind of narrow straight-edge to stablize the bolt with your left hand and then come in from the right with your fingers and you should be able to get the booger in.

If you have extra large hands I'd think that you could use in the right hand some long nosed pliers but I didn't have to.

So stay creative folks. There's always a way.

I hope this helps someone when the time comes.....

Cheers!

Steven 91 Westy