Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Oct 2012 22:45:27 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Swapping out the alternator and fun with a pivot bolt
Comments: To: Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@GMAIL.COM>

At 09:59 PM 10/20/2012, Steven Johnson wrote: >After a general inspection I realized I didn't have to remove any of the >other belts and

If you have power steering, your life will be much easier if you remove the power steering belt from the pump and pivot the pump out of the way.

>belt. Once >slightly loosened then the 13mm

I'll get back to this.

> can be used to loosen the alternator >adjusting bolt and the larger toothed bolt can be turned (I used a >cresent wrench for this).

Older vans have a plain strap without the rack-and-pinion tensioning setup. In either case you simply remove the M8 clamp bolt. You also should loosen the strap pivot bolt until after you've tensioned the belt on the replacement alternator.

>So I got the alternator back to my garage and started putting it back in >and realized that getting the pivot bolt back in wasn't going to be >as easy as taking it >out. Uggg!

What you *didn't* realize was that the pivot bolt was in backwards. If you install it with the bolt head to the rear and the nut on the forward end of the bracket it all goes together easily. Roll the alternator to the right into the space left by the power steering pump, and you'll be able to reach around its left side with two fingers to get the nut started and run up finger tight. With luck, when it comes time to torque up that bolt after tensioning the belt, the nut will grab hold and not require a wrench to hold it as you tighten. N.B. I've run across an '85 with a square hole in the forward ear of the bracket, and a carriage bolt for the pivot bolt. I can't remember - that one may have needed to be fed in from the forward side.

Yours, David