Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Oct 2012 13:31:17 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Headlights Still Out
Comments: To: Cunegonde <cunegonde.van.westfalia@GMAIL.COM>

Hello, I agree, since the left hi beam works normally .. that is, key on, hd lit swithch on, each time you pull and release it it goes from left high beam to 'nothing' which should be the left low beam. Additionally, I think the high beam flash functionis also working for left high beam- that is,. key off, light switch off, pull, you get that high beam. The hi beam indicator light is fed off the left hi beam I think.. so all that is working correctly, is my understanding at this point.

I don't know why page 97.20 was referenced. I have worked on this very van, and it's an 83 or 84 waterboxer Westy . The right page to look at is 97.56. I think Cunegoonde is a 84, I don't think it's an 85, and I'm 95 % sure it's not an 86 or late.

**Really ...for posts and problems like this the Year and Model/Version should be at the top of each post of in the subject line, or ALL Bets are Off. Just a waste of people's time to not state that stuff clearly *every* post.

This is what I would do .. I'd just take one circuit that is not working , and work on that. Just one circuitto start with. Take the right now beam ....from S4. Current track 40. I don't like this diagram that much ....I can't see where they say which hd lts are hi and low beam. You can tell the one with S5 is high beam, since the hi beam indicator light it connect to that one. The only reason I knoiw S4 is for right low beam is the right Low Beam is from looking in an 84 Vanagon Owner's Manual at the fuse list. Now is see it's also in the Current Track list on page 97.54 OK..things are making more sense.

I also notice this .....current for the right low beam goes through the Hi Beam Flasher/dimmer switch. If you look carefully at the switch onthe right set of contacts, it shows low beam current goes through those contacts to the right low beam, current track 40.

So ...I would look for the current, with a12volt test light coming outof theLight Switch on pin 56, white/black wire. Then I'd see if it got to pin 56 on the Dimmer Switch. Then I'd see if it came out of pin 56b of the Dimmer switch yellow-black wire. The see if it gets to the upper end < < inthe diagram > ( not sure if that is the actual physical lower end, or upper end at the fuse box.. have to figure that out by looking at the back of the fuse box, or testing at the fuse end terminals.

and so on ... use your test light to find out if the voltage is coming out of the light switch on the right pin/wire. Then just keep going downstream, checking for it as you go.

OR ..for example...by pass the Dimmer Swtich with a small jumper wire.. it's like following water in pipes with numerous junctions and valves .. or fuel in a feul rail, you look for it where it is suppossed to originate. if it's there, keep going downstream. if it's not, go upstream looking for how it's not getting where it should.

You really have to stare carefully at these diagrams. 'Mostly' the internal workings of relays and swtiches are shown . You just have to look very carefully.

Also ...what often happens is that by concentrating on just this one circuit , the right low beam, that's not working.. you'll find 'the spot' that's affecting all the things that are not working. Just just simplify the task... Mainly you need a 12 volt test light ( which can look for power or ground), a small jumper wire or two, sometimes a paperclip to test for voltage in small connector pins ... a Bentley manual on the right page and current track, and some serious determination and a dash of cleverness.

You'll get it. Trimmed, Scott www.turbovans.com

On 10/16/2012 8:22 AM, Cunegonde wrote: > Thank you again for specific circuit testing. > > The driver's side hi beam stays on when I let go of the stalk. The hi beam indicator works. These are why I didn't think the column stalk switch was internally malfunctioning. It's connections might be, and now that I have soecific wiring path suggestions, will get on it! > > > > >