Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Oct 2012 16:35:48 -0400
From:         Marc Perdue <mcperdue@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Update: Re: Darn idle, stalling, running rich...

Haven't gotten the Temp II sensor or thermostat yet, but started working on the FAQ from Ron Austin on BTDT. Tested the voltage from neg. battery term. to engine ground with two green wires pulled from coil, helper cranking... 0.7 VDC. It's supposed to be less than 0.5. The ground contacts on each end of the ground strap from the engine to just below the coil had been cleaned, but I cleaned them again, put an extra 12 gauge wire (vs. 10 gauge that Ron spec'd; it's complicated...) connected to each point, cleaned the connections on the ground strap on the tranny and got down to .49 VDC. I have a ways to go, but the van's running noticeably better. Still way rich and stalling, but it has less of the creeping tendency where it doesn't have much power till it gets up above about 3K RPMs. I'm hoping to start getting better than 10 mpg again soon.

So, what is the gauge of the normal ground wires in an '87 Westy (auto, if it makes a diff.)? And where are they? I'm planning on working on replacing all the ends of the ground wires and cleaning up the battery cables in the next couple of days . . .

In addition to the ground and battery wires, I also need to check out the stereo cabling; I have a sneaky suspicion that something the installers did is causing me problems . . . My battery kept going dead for a while when the subwoofer was plugged in, so I had them wire it differently. They just wired the stupid stereo so none of it would come on unless the van was on . . . grrrr . . . I also feel like the crossover isn't working cause the front speakers buzz badly, but that's another job... Never enough time to do it right myself, dang it.

Marc