Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Oct 2012 01:06:12 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: strange whirrrrrring sound
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

I havn't read yet more details on the whirring soundrecently. I do hear high milage ( 180K or so ) vanagon transaxles being noisy .. usually noticeable in 2nd ..like 'bearing noise' at 35ish mph.

In all cases though ..on and off the power makes the sound go away or be there.. depending on load on the gears .. which can be .. load under acceleration, no load, as in no pressure on the gears, or negative load, as when slowing down.

if the sound changes with on/off thepower ..think about the trans. if it changes with swerving, think about the wheel bearings. if it changes with rpm , think about the engine. if it changes with on/off the brakes...obviously, think about the brakesfront and rear ( try the parking brake only to get an idea if it's in the rear , of course. ) if the whirring sound there all the time .. ...you're screwed ! lol.

that's rare ...usually some action on the controls will make the sound change a little. ...helping to figure out where/what system it's in.

fwiw, I have several fine transaxles in vanaogns with high miles, synthetic gear oil ( Prolong additve in some of them) and they had significant metal on the trans drain plug.........yet the drive and shift fine, and are quiet . And 'driven nicely' they have good life left in them for sure.

scott turbovans

On 10/27/2012 4:01 AM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > I've seen worse. Those wear particles are somewhat normal. If the box is noisy it is most likely a bearing problem or a housing problem allowing some bearing to move. > > Dennis > > >From my cheapo HP laptop now running Windows 8! > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of loudmouth_70@yahoo.com > Sent: Friday, October 26, 2012 4:02 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: strange whirrrrrring sound > > Finally got the drain plug removed today. Kind of wishing it wasn't looking so christmassy. Here's a link. Let me know how bad this is, I'm going to put in fresh fluid and see how she sounds. > > http://db.tt/0wLhaprR > > > Steve > > >From my HTC Sensation 4G on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network > > ----- Reply message ----- > From: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Subject: strange whirrrrrring sound > Date: Wed, Oct 24, 2012 9:00 pm > > > Must be the part of the continent I'm in .. > mine are all perfectly spherical. > I probably have a picture somewhere. > > > > On 10/24/2012 4:52 PM, miguel pacheco wrote: >> Scott, you are way off! They look like garden gnomes, not golf balls...... >> Miguel >>