Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Oct 2012 11:01:08 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thoughts on buying a 82 air-cooled westy?

If Harry could find a "beat" WBX Vanagon donor, this would keep costs down and provide a lot of other spare parts. Sort of a "kill two birds" approach in a way. And though a long shot, finding one with stainless long pipes would be great.

If the air cooled Westy body etc., is in great shape, it *might* be worth the time. Emphasis on "might". OTOH, zero regrets doing the swap I did. Learned a LOT, have had many enjoyable miles. It would still be running were it not for my choice to redesign the engine carrier, upgrade mounts, and exhaust. .... projects which had stalled!

The cost of a Zetec swap itself should be roughly the same for any 2WD Vanagon. The lack of a coolant based cooling system on an air cooled Vanagon is obviously and likely the main reason the swap isn't listed for those models. If you really wanted to do that swap, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

In hindsight, I see the basic aspects of the cooling system changeover as not too difficult. Bonus: you get a chance to rebuild the heat exchange box, and, you should end up with a near new cooling system.

Con's: it's a bunch of added work to an already well thought out swap (Zetec) and there are details to work out. i.e. installing the oil pressure warning circuit board, (or cluster with that part), coolant low warning module, adapting hole in body for heater core hoses, installing upper support for radiator, etc.

Neil.

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 3:52 AM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Well that is an option. The water cooling and heating system can be added. You can also upgrade to the later transmission. Or for all that money just get a later Westy that runs. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Harry Hoffman [mailto:hhoffman@ip-solutions.net] > Sent: Friday, October 26, 2012 4:15 PM > To: Dennis Haynes > Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Thoughts on buying a 82 air-cooled westy? > > Thanks to everyone who responded. My thought was to do a bostig conversion but they start from 83 and up. > I appreciate all of the pointers!

-- Neil n

65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp

'88 Slate Blue Westy to be named.

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines