Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Oct 2012 20:58:07 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: A/C tranny in my na diesel!
Comments: To: ralph meyermann <ralphmeyermann@GMAIL.COM>

Hey Ralph . sounds great !

a few thoughts ..... It's more or less not possible to put piston oil squirters into a block that doesn't have them. Right on this very group though .. people were saying it's fine to turbo a 1.6 NA . I can't really agree with that since most of the used diesels I see are trashed anyway ... and a small turbo engine pushing a big vanagon ...like on hills with boost etc .. heck ...in my opinion a real idiot could ruin a TD engine in a vanagon in as little as a year. Driven intelligently they can be quite decent of course.

if you can find a decent used AAZ ....that's the right way to go. TDI heads do not fit on 1.6 engine blocks, pretty sure. if you do turbo a 1.6 ..the turbo intake manifold you want is the jettta/golf/rabbit on, and not the Quantum one. Same for the exhaust part ....a Quantum setup can be made to work... but it's not nearly as good as the central turbo location with the golf/rabbit turbo exhaust manifold.

I'd put energy in to looking for a really good used complete AAZ myself. In the end you'll be glad you did. Most of them have a ton of miles on them by now .. so be careful. Especially ....don't get involvedwith a rusty example .. Seriously, on that one. ( damage nose of the crankshaft, pitting on the top of the block, on a very very rusty AAZ engine I did. )

got the trans ! now for a matching engine !

scott www.turbovans.com

On 10/27/2012 5:38 PM, ralph meyermann wrote: > Hi Volks!! Took my first trip with the air cooled tranny in Velma and > loving the rpm change at 60-65mph. With a slight tail wind we squeezed out > approximately 31.4 mpg on mostly river grade!! Now the downer, now we need > more power!! The hills are slow going and a head wind we can maintain. I > found a turbo kit for about$ 500.00 which includes turbo,down pipe,intake > and exhaust manifolds but would have to get a turbo vanny intake manifold > that I've seen for$ 60.00. The problem would be finding the forged crank > and installing piston oilers. Im thinking I could do a full rebuild into a > turbo motor for about the same $ as a used AAZ motor! Will a 1z ahu tdi > head match up to my 1.6 ?? Thinking more efficient being direct injected > and better flow from head and camshaft profile?? Decisions decisions!! > Thanks for any info!! > Velma 82diesel 1.6 na westy >