Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Oct 2012 15:02:03 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Notes on traveling, internet access and rv parks
Comments: To: Rob <vwrobb@GMAIL.COM>

> I don't argue with people about the value of a GPS vs using your > phone anymore, it's a religion and religious arguments never seem to > come to any good.

Right-o.

> I have a Garmin GPS & a Rand-McNally road atlas, my phone can do it > too if all else fails but it is the phone. The GPS was around $100 (3 > years ago), the atlas was $6 or $7.

A perfectly fine solution unless you're wanting backcountry details like USDA Forestry Service or BLM roads, or topographic maps. I looked and looked, and only found some very expensive GPSs marketed to forest workers and the like.

Few of the common units allow a fellow to input latitude/longitude for destination. I've found a number of great places to camp hereabouts from other folk who have provided coördinates only. For example, 43.770373,-120.967342 is a spot where my son and I camp every spring. If you can plug that into your city-slicker GPS and have it show you nearby Sand Springs Road/NF-23 then you got a good one.

<https://maps.google.com/?ll=43.770373,-120.967342&spn=0.001631,0.003138&t=h&z=18> will open the spot in Google Maps.

Admittedly, there probably aren't many folk here who care much about things like this. So what I'm saying it that Rob is right: for general-purpose street address-driven navigation, Garmin and Magellan and the others make fine units.

-- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, Bend, Ore.

On 10/30/2012 12:18 PM, Rob wrote: > At 10/30/2012 11:46 AM, Loren Busch wrote: >> RE: GPS in Smart Phones > > I don't argue with people about the value of a GPS vs using your > phone anymore, it's a religion and religious arguments never seem to > come to any good. > > I have a Garmin GPS & a Rand-McNally road atlas, my phone can do it > too if all else fails but it is the phone. The GPS was around $100 (3 > years ago), the atlas was $6 or $7. > > Toss the atlas in the back of your Vanagon and it will be there when > you need it. > > > > > > Rob > > vwrobb@gmail.com > Still in western Washington State, USA