Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Oct 2012 19:13:20 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Blus Star-Real or Not?
Comments: To: J Stewart <fonman4277@comcast.net>

you're right .. the engine is the easy part. Good transmissions, when needed, are not that common. a whole used vanagon can be cheaper than a good used trans almost sometimes.

Things like headliner ...harder to deal with .. Surface rust is very easy to deal with . Body cancer is a serious problem of course. and big crashed areas ....not fun or easy either .. but an engine ..'that's just one part.'

Shame too .. there's a fine 86 GL in a junk yard near me......the metal insert at the forward end of one of the main plastic coolant pipes blew out .. they probably overheated it. Went to a shop .. shop says something like at least $ 4,000 ...... not having that to invest, they let the whole fine machine go for probably a few hundred . Now it's being picked over ..and will eventually get crushed. They are not making any more of them. it's a shame to waste any good body/chassis . they are endlessly repairable really.

I regard the Vanagon as the best overall VW of all time.

scott turbovans

On 10/31/2012 7:02 PM, J Stewart wrote: > Scott, you are 100% correct, a lesson I learned the hard way MANY > years ago- no engine/blown engine is way better than a rusty body! > I'll take engine work any day over body work! Easier and usually > cheaper too! > > Jeff Stewart > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > no engine isn't that big a problemreally. >