Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Oct 2012 21:10:23 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Wiper blade recommendation?
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

At 03:04 PM 10/29/2012, Rocket J Squirrel wrote: >Are some brands better than others? I put a new set on early this year >-- don't remember what brand, something mid-priced -- and they are >useless now, just push the water around with no squeege action. I could >do better with a butter knife.

As they start to age they really like being scrubbed off and pinch-wiped with a towel. Also there's a lot of crud that can get on a windshield from time to time that needs a couple hours wiping in steady rain to get rid of.

Some time ago I bought a top-end Rain-X blade and a second-tier (still fairly spendy) blade, might have been Bosch, and installed them at the same time. Some period later the Rain-X blade was cleaning fine and the other one was coming apart at its ends. I've stuck to the fancy Rain-X blades since.

I also use Rain-X washer fluid most of the time. The combination seems to keep a very light Rain-X effect that does seem to help keep the window clean and does not build up at the far end of the wiper sweep. I do actual Rain-X applications from time to time on mirrors, side and rear windows which makes them easier to clean.

Yours, David