Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Nov 2012 21:07:32 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Where to find the fault?
Comments: To: Richard A Jones <Jones@COLORADO.EDU>

I'd probably just convert one to two separate relays .. one for 'power relay' and one for fuel pump .. using vanagon relays. unless there is some feature of the double relay that wouldn't be covered that way.

fwiw ...the CA version of air-cooled vanagons and the non-Ca version use different double relays I think. I might even still have a non-Ca one from a van that was in PortTownsend, Wa.

I just bypass those things as a test if I need to.

here is a real simple example of a main relay problem ( ECU would not power up, or run the fuel pump, or turn on the Check Engine light - 93 subaru 2.2 engine a vanagon ) that I fixed recently.

I could see that the main relay was not being energized. It had battery power to it on two big wires like it should what it needed was key on power through a diode to one small wire .. ( which was there ..that power ).. that left the small wire that is the ground side of that part of the circuit. Sure enough ..I had not grounded that wire when building the wiring harness. Grounded that ..I have a running van.

if you figure out from the diagrams .. such as the ones on this site posted .. it's not hard to check for the various signals and grounds that the relay needs.

On 11/2/2012 7:58 PM, Richard A Jones wrote: > Zoltan: > > If you mean the fuel pump runs with key on (like a 2.1 does > for 5 sec) then that isn't right. If you mean with starter > on, then OK. > > Here's a link to a good explanation of the double relay > that might help you. > > http://www.ratwell.com/technical/DoubleRelay.html > > Richard >