Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Nov 2012 18:11:21 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dealers and Vanagons, was Re: Pics Of The Blue Star
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

bummer. Hard to imagine .. parts person sez......'Sir, would you personally please not come back here seeking to buy VW parts."

were you half nice to them ? every time you get a right part.. you keep the invoice and part # ..right ?

to be fair ....the pictures they work with can be unclear. if you have a VIN ..that probably helps too.

about pulleys.. VW has about half a million different belt setups for inline four cylinder engines . It's a real trick to get the right pulley sometimes .

fwiw, I only find about one out of 20 parts people to be really sharp. Get one good person .. stick with just them - that helps a lot.

S.

On 11/5/2012 3:11 PM, Jim Felder wrote: > I live near a big VW dealership. They have what would be considered an > excellent parts department in most places, I think. They know what a > vanagon is. But when I went to order some obscure pulley for a diesel > jetta, I took their advice and got the wrong part. I sent it back, taking > their advice for a second time, and again got the wrong part. They asked me > not to come back. > > Jim > > On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans < > scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > >> You guys ...n' galls, >> you have to go to your dealer parts department . >> and 'train them' ....get them used to looking up vanagon parts .. >> help them ( if they'll let you ! ) find the parts in their pictures, etc. >> >> And defenitely, develope a relationship with one parts person. That >> helps a lot. >> heck ..it would be worth it to just buy a light bulb or whatever from >> them a few times a year so they get to know you. >> >> and really ..without 'some relationship' ...many are not likely to care >> or try very hard. Seriously. >> >> Of courseit always seems they don't want to show you the pictures on >> their screen that they are looking at .. >> ( maybe they don't want to let it be known that they barely know what >> they are looking at in the parts pictures ) .. >> so ya gotta help 'em...a lot sometimes. >> And they resist that too .. >> all of why it helps, or is mandatory almost actually - to develope a >> relationship with one smart person there. >> >> they often will do this .. >> they'll print out the picture they are looking at on the screen .. >> then you look at your copy ( and keep it and take it home ) while they >> look at their screen picture. >> >> And patience is required asthe grouping of vairous parts is not always >> logical .. >> say crankshaft bolts might be with either the clutch picture or the >> crankshaft picture, or some other picture yet. >> >> Also ..I have dealt with one VW dealer in Canada ..Guidlford Motors in >> Surry BC .. >> every time I have ever called them for the last 22+ years...they've been >> eager, >> smart, accurate, pleasant etc. etc. etc. >> Never one mistake , or any complaints by me ( that's saying something >> too ) ... >> just totally knowledgeable and pleasant. >> >> And I deal with the same two guys there every time too , and that always >> helps. >> >> the parts pictures are sort of a limiting factor. >> IF you have a part number ...then you are in good shape .. >> as long as it's in their price sheet. Then next is how many there might >> be of that part in the system .. >> and where that part might be. >> so ...whenever possibly have your part #. >> >> otherwise ...regardless of bone stock US model your dirty part on the >> counter is .. >> if they can not find it in the pictures ....ya got bubkis there. >> >> and save all the printed out parts pictures they'll give ya. >> For most vw parts dealers these days, in the US anyway, for vanagons .. >> they need our help. lol. Just be nice and pleasant and patience. >> And if they know you some.. >> that makes all the difference in theworld. Heck ....bring them a box of >> chocolates sometime. >> >> Scott >> www.turobvans.com >> >> >> >> On 11/5/2012 8:06 AM, Dave Mcneely wrote: >> >>> The VW dealer nearest to me, and the only one in Oklahoma City, is Cable >>> Volkswagen. Every time I have tried to get a part from Cable Volkswagen >>> the response has been that it is an "obsolete vehicle," and that parts are >>> not available. Even parts that I have determined are available from the >>> distributor, Cable refuses to even try to look up. A new dealer has opened >>> in Norman, and I have been told that it is a much better place to do >>> business. But, I haven't tried them yet. mcneely >>> >>> ---- David Bjorkman <ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET> wrote: >>> >>> -- >>> David McNeely >>> >>>