Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Nov 2012 13:21:08 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Looking for spark plug wire recommendations
Comments: To: David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>

I get fine results with Bosch spark plug wires.

yours are a bit advanced over 'regular' ones.. in all vanagons 85 and up there is a post inside the distributor cap and coil where the plug wire plugs in .. much better than the traditional 'hole' only there.

I do find corrosion once in a while at the ends of plug wires or the coil wire.. I chalk that up to lack of care and attention rather than cheap wires .. unless they are cheap wires of course. Imight use dielectric grease on these connections sometimes.

about 'fixing things' .. won't go on too much about it .... I have always ( well over 50 years ) just *f i x e d* things.. usally by cleaning, tweaking, adjusting, smoothing rough surfaces - whatever.

but 'some action' using ones brains and hands.

what I see happening in car repair land a lot is 'parts' .. parts installed and replaced.. but sloppily .....or incorrectly. Lots of that . Lots and lots and lots of that. It appears to me that people think 'replacing parts' is actually, actually fixing something. I *can* be ... but the actual *f i x i n g* is HOW it's done .. not just putting the new part/s on. It's all about the workmanship.

I do at least as much straighting out bad car and engine coversion work as I do just ordinary repair. Lots of 're-do' work which shouldn't ever be necessary really.

I've used NGK plug wires too .. but Bosch are my regular ones. Scott www.turbovans.com

On 11/1/2012 11:46 AM, David Clarkson wrote: > ?Hey listees, I am in need of a new set of spark plug and coil wires for my 1990 2.1 engine. I am running a stock ignition system with the exception of Bosch Platinum plugs. My coil wire is going bad and it's probably time to replace all the wires as a set. What I have now is a set from one of our list vendors that I purchased about 3 yrs. and 15,000 miles ago. I feel that this set should have lasted quite a bit longer. The connectors on vanagon wires are slightly smaller so just any set from a local FLAPS won't do. Besides, my experience in the auto industry (service advisor and service manager) has shown me time and again that these wires are usually junk and fail too quickly. I don't mind paying a bit more for quality and am soliciting the list for their recommendations based on longevity as a primary consideration. Thanks fellow vanagonauts! > > David Clarkson > 1990 Westy with stock 2.1 and almost 300,000 miles (rebuilt at 166,000 miles and synthetic oil only) >