Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Nov 2012 15:05:29 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Comments: To: Mike S <mikes@FLATSURFACE.COM>

Hi Mike, At 11:05 PM 11/6/2012, Mike S wrote: >Common 60/40 has a tensile strength of around 535 kgf/cm², 3.5% silver >solder, about 580. Not that much difference. The important thing is to >ensure the joint is properly wetted, and keep the joint stationary while >cooling. Using a eutectic alloy (63/37) almost eliminates the issues >cause by movement.

I agree that a joint that's moved while in the mushy zone is a bad joint, period. I'm a huge believer in 63/37 solder, wonderful stuff. There's a jeweler's low-temp solder called Tix, costs a fortune. Do you know anything about it?

You have an interesting point about the non-eutectic solders needing to have the joint mechanically secured while they go through the plastic zone.

>Mechanically, a proper soldered joint of equal overlap (and no twist) >will be stronger than a non-soldered WU splice with stranded wire, so it >should be apparent where the strength comes from. WU splices are really >only effective on solid wire, which shouldn't ever be used in an >automotive environment.

Yes, I wasn't thinking about how much less integrity the WU splice has in stranded wire.

I take your point, I think. My concern about solder joints has never been about tensile strength but rather fatigue tolerance. A prime example is in the 022 ECU, where the boards are joined by a couple of say 20-pin flattened wire interconnects with paper insulation. The length is such that they form an S curve and exert a bit of pressure shoving them into their connecting through-holes. I can't imagine these things weigh more than a couple grams, but they are pulling themselves out of the boards nonetheless. There's no thermal cycling to speak of so I can only put it down to vibration.

Now whether this is really an issue with two wires soldered together in-line is another question and I don't know the answer. I am concerned about it in a high-vibration environment like a car, but I'm more concerned with the hard spot that the solder leaves when it wicks up into the strands. For these reasons I personally am leery of solder joints under these conditions, though I'm very fond of solder in general. My habit when working in salt water was to seal the ends of crimp connections with multiple coats of "Liquid Electrical Tape" which is a vinyl compound, and I never had a joint fail in many years (whereas every single unprotected crimp fitting on the boat corroded completely off where the wire entered the crimp. However here is an alternate view. http://yachtpals.com/marine-electrical-9162 It must be stressed of course that a cheap crimp connector is useless, and insufficient crimping force likewise.

Yours, David