Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Nov 2012 20:50:16 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Looking for spark plug wire recommendations
Comments: To: Hector Zapata <hlzapata@gmail.com>

Actually, Bremi was the *primary* OEM source for Ignition Wires for the 2.1s I've run across over the years. However on my Westy 2.1 I have a 8 year old set of Bosch, no problems. On my GL 1.9 I run the German Beru Set from Airhead (hey, I work there). They've been no problem for the past 4 years (I upgraded the Coil and Distributor Cap to run these). The German Berus are much superior materials and workmanship over the current Bosch out of Mexico.

-- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" 75 914 1.8 "Nancy" Full Timing From March 1999 To January 2012 oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com Find me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Jim-Thompson/100000710343835 ***********************************

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Hector Zapata <hlzapata@gmail.com> wrote: > Many OEM ignition parts were made by Beru, not Bosch, and I believe those > are still German made. > > > > > On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM, David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@aol.com> wrote: > >> Thanks Harold that's probably the way that I'll go. What is interesting is >> that the same picture appears to be used for the other option at the bottom >> of that page (Bosch set). I know that Bosch made most of the electrical and >> particularly ignition components for our vehicles. Bosch is absolutely not >> the same company that it was 25 years ago due to outsourcing for cheaper >> labor and materials but then again what company hasn't done this in the >> last 25 years? I do believe that real OEM is the way to go. I had to >> replace my power steering pump after over 250,000 trouble -free miles and >> for economic reasons, that I now truly regret, and went to a local FLAPS. I >> won't name this hometown auto parts giant but will say that their name is >> the opposite of "regress". Long story short; after replacing the pump six >> times in a year and a half I had a 30 minute conversation with the manager >> and finally convinced him to give me my money back rather than another >> crappy pump POS (oops I mean PS) pump. I worked in the service department >> at my local Honda dealership and kept swapping them out under the best of >> conditions but needed him to know that my time was worth something as was >> my frustration level. I told him that the last pump threw out the shaft and >> kicked off the belt that got tangled and mangled the alternator belt and >> also disabled the water pump. I took my money that he returned to me and >> went to the parts yard that had a 91 vanagon that I had been scavenging >> parts off of and bought it's used pump with over 100k and installed it. It >> has now taken me over 50k and runs very quietly and contentedly. All I buy >> from most FLAPS with the exception of NAPA and one local import parts house >> is fluids. I just don't trust them for anything that is electrical or has >> moving parts. Thanks to everyone who replied for their input. I did by the >> way check for corrosion and found no green or white junk on the connections >> but will use di-electric grease when I install the new set. Good idea Scott. >> >> >> >> >> >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Harold Teer &lt;teer.vanagon@gmail.com&gt; >> To: David Clarkson &lt;dvdclarksn@aol.com&gt; >> Cc: list &lt;vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com&gt; >> Sent: Thu, Nov 1, 2012 2:16 pm >> Subject: Re: Looking for spark plug wire recommendations >> >> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM, David Clarkson &lt;dvdclarksn@aol.com&gt; >> wrote: >> ?Hey listees, I am in need of a new set of spark plug and coil wires for >> my 1990 2.1 engine. >> How about these for genuine VW wires at $64.95? >> http://www.busdepot.com/025998031 >> >> Harold >> >> >> __________ >> Harold Teer >> 1991 Westy >> Harrisonburg, VA