Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Nov 2012 20:50:11 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch Question
Comments: To: J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>

Nice idea. Most dead vans I get 'need everything' .. or at least about 40 things fixed or serviced on them. If I count areas with corrosion ..then it's a 100 things that need addressing. Or more.

I was also thinking ...if the piston in the clutch MC is all the way down ( the only thing that makes it return is the pressure plate pushing back when you let the clutch pedal up ).. it's possible the piston is all the way down .. and the push rod pulled out of the cylinder. It's easy for the pushrod to hang up on something under there.

and I did have a case once where it was just like what you discribe..clutch pedal rock hard and wouldn't budge. When I got an engine it and bled the system , things were just fine.

speaking of checking things .. and the engine is out ...check for smooth operation of the cross shaft in the bell housing. I don't think people lube those either , quite often anyway. I spray lube the shaft bushings until the cross shaft moves as smooth as silk.

here's a fun little mod .. remove the slave bracket ... on the aft nut and bolt that holds the slave cyl to the bracket .. weld that bolt head on the underside.. turning it into a stud .. makes it 'way' easier to unbolt the slave cyl from then on. paint the welded area of course to stop rust. you wouldn't think it would be nnecessary to say that.. but I see welded spots on engine conversions all the time that are just left to rust. ..no paint at all. Very commonly ...bare welded metal that can't help rusting. It's so rewarding to go good worktoo.

On 11/10/2012 8:00 PM, J Stewart wrote: > Ahhh, yes, good explanation, and of course, you remember there is no engine in this van currently! Just trying to go through it and come up with a rough idea of what it will take to get it back on the road. Thanks! Jeff Stewart ----- Original Message ----- >> I've seen this before. >> It's not good to push the clutch pedal down without a clutch slave >> cylinder and engine connected to it in the back. >> Last time I saw this ...it reso lved itself after I had an en gine >> installed. >> and besides ....one could j ust push the piston out of the slave >> cylinder.. >> just like pushing down on the brake pedal with the rear drums off will >> pop out the rear wheel cylinder pistons, or can. >> you kn ow that. >> scott >> www.turbovans.com >> On 11/10/2012 6:37 PM, J Stewart wrote: >>> So, I was playing around with my "new" Blue Star today. Hooked up a >>> battery and all the electrics work EXCEPT no front blower motor. Not >>> happy, I just replaced the blower motor in my last Vanagon, and as a >>> lot of you know, not a fun job. But, another thing I noticed, the >>> clutch pedal won't budge, it is locked up tight-what would cause >>> this? >>> And still looking for a 2.1 motor close to Virginia! >>> Jeff Stewart