Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Nov 2012 12:04:30 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear Springs
Comments: To: Steven Shelton <shelton4@GMAIL.COM>

85 Westy's are a particular case.. those and 85 Weekenders have front springs that are too tall by about 2 inches.

I have fixed this a few times ...the best result I got was using 85 GL front springs.. van came out perfectly level that way.

so ....you could try new rear springs and that might get you where you want. I personally can't stand the front up in the air like that .. or a 2WD vanagon being raised to much ... that helps them be even more of 'an understeering pig' .... I have a guy right now ...totally pristine 85 Westy ...steers like a boat .. due to being so high in front ..and having oridinary vanagon-rated 14 inch tires ( actually ..he has D load rating tires on front which I also can not stand .. C load tires are correct for a vanagon. And in 14's D's inthe rear and C's in the front help quite a lot in ride, steering response and cornering. Though 14's can never bethat good compared to proper 15 inch wheels with the right tires on them...or 16's. )

anyway ...you could try new rear springs. about the weight distribution... A vanagon has more wieght on the front axle than the rear. As you load a Westy in the middle ....I weighed mine once after filling it with lumber .. it weighs more on the front axle than the rear even more !

so ..unless you have tons of junk under your back seat and over the engine.. you likely have more weight on the front axle than the rear anyway.

if you wantto 'keep it simple' ..I suggest trying brand new rear springs. Ultimately , if your rig is like every other 85 Westy or Weekender I have seen this syndrome on .. you want the correct front springs. I've put in 84 GL front springs ( used ) and they were a little low. 85 GL ones where perfect though ..exactly perfect.

and I see no point in raising 2WD vanagons .. they have plenty of ground clearance anyway ..and raising them just makes them handle worse.

scott www.turbovans.com On 11/13/2012 7:03 AM, Steven Shelton wrote: > I used 1 1/2" spacers to cure a serious saggy butt problem on my 1985 > camper. The van looks much better, but the lack of spring travel affects > the ride, especially over rough terrain. It's time to quit being so cheap > and get some new springs. Some vendors recommend replacing all four > springs, but do I really need to purchase and install new front springs, > too? OK, I'm still being a tightwad, but with so little weight on the > front compared to the back, I suspect the front springs have plenty of > years left in them. > > I'll wager that there has been passionate discussions on springs in the > past, but not since I've been a subscriber. Any comments on which springs > to get would be appreciated. >