Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Nov 2012 15:51:37 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: was no start-my problem is intermittant sluggish starting
Comments: To: David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>

hi .. I hope anyone rebuilding a transaxle would check on that bushing. if new ..it should do 120K miles. I measure mine by sticking an old starter amrature shaft into the bushing and seeing how loose it fits, how much it wiggles. New Rebuilt Bosch starters come with a new bushing and they say you *must* replace it when installing a new starter.

remove starter to replace bushing. it can be a little trickyto do...the bushing part.

Scott www.turbovans.com

On 11/13/2012 2:59 PM, David Clarkson wrote: > My transmission was rebuilt via a list vendor by Daryl at AA > Transmissions. I wonder if that bushing was replaced and if so would > it have lasted another 120K? Is there any way to test or measure it > with the starter out and if it does need to be replaced does the > gearing have to come out for this part to be replaced? Thanks Scott > and anyone else that might want to chime in (Daryl are you lurking out > there?). > > David Clarkson > 90 Westy sometimes starting a bit sluggishly > > -----Original Message----- > From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> > To: David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@AOL.COM> > Cc: vanagon <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Tue, Nov 13, 2012 3:22 pm > Subject: Re: was no start-my problem is intermittant sluggish starting > > re > "that involved something, I guess in the casing, of the > starter being ovaled out." > > Are you talking about the starter bushing that's in the bell > housing ? > the one that must be replaced or at least carefully inspected > any time the starter is out . > > scott > turbovans > On 11/13/2012 7:12 AM, David Clarkson wrote: > > I have a 90 Wetfalia with a manual transmission. I have > never had the exact no start problem that others are referring to but > do have an intermittent slow turning starter as though the battery is > weak. I have repeatedly checked the battery and it checks out okay. I > have even had this problem when the battery was brand new. The starter > has been rebuilt and all the grounds are in great shape. I go over the > ground connections all around the engine compartment regularly. It > seems that I heard someone speak of a similar problem that involved > something, I guess in the casing, of the starter being ovaled out. I > am not sure how I might look this up in the archives. I'm sure that > the starter rebuilder, although very reputable, may not have noticed a > very slight irregularity such as this. Has anyone had a similar issue > when starting? I can have the sluggish start symptom and then shut the > engine off and restart and everything turns at a normal speed. Thanks > list.David Clarkson90 Westfalia? >