Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Nov 2012 21:47:28 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Transmission input shaft play?
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

getting more confusing than ever. 'ball bearing channels'.. been working on cars going on 50 years and vanagons 20+ and never heard that one.

the input shaft is the one that connects the clutch disc to the transmission.. and it's in two parts on a vanagon.

anything 'output' would be what 'comes out of the transaxle'..in other words ..the output flangeswhere the axles are.

what happened to the orignal poster anyway?

S. On 11/8/2012 8:52 PM, Stuart MacMillan wrote: > He's talking about the input shaft to the transmission as I understand him, > not the output, which is as you say. > > > > Stuart > > > > From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans [mailto:scottdaniel@turbovans.com] > Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 7:50 PM > To: Stuart MacMillan > Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Transmission input shaft play? > > > > 'ball bearing channels' ? > > I thought it was well understood that the junction spot ..where a stud keeps > the two shafts locked together ..with a splind sleeve over it, allows sfor > up/down, left/right wiggling. > > > > On 11/8/2012 5:28 PM, Stuart MacMillan wrote: > > Normal radial play, there should be no axial play. That's the clearance in > the ball bearing channels, and why you need a pilot bearing to support the > other end of the shaft. > > Stuart > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Tabe Johnson > Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:13 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Transmission input shaft play? > > Yes, I meant radial play, not axial. > > > tabe > > --- On Tue, 11/6/12, neil n <mailto:musomuso@gmail.com> > <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: > > > From: neil n <mailto:musomuso@gmail.com> <musomuso@gmail.com> > Subject: Re: Transmission input shaft play? > To: greentabe-vanagon@yahoo.com > Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > Received: Tuesday, November 6, 2012, 10:40 PM If you're talking about > side to side play, that's normal. > > The input shaft is held onto another shaft (can't recall part name) > with a small stud. There is a gear/sleeve that slides over both, but > my guess is that even with that gear, there's still enough play to > allow side to side movement. > > Some images of what I mean (this is an air cooled, but same > idea): > > https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/InputShaftRRDKAirCooledTransmiss > ion# > > Neil. > > On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Tabe Johnson > <mailto:greentabe-vanagon@yahoo.com> <greentabe-vanagon@yahoo.com> > wrote: > > > I was looking at a (used) manual transmission today and > > it had maybe 1/8" to 1/4" of play at the end of the input shaft. How > much is normal/acceptable? > > > tabe johnson/90MV > > > > > -- > Neil n > > 65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp > > '88 Slate Blue Westy to be named. > > '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group: > > > http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-e > ngines > = >