Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Nov 2012 00:07:03 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: was no start-my problem is intermittant sluggish starting
Comments: To: David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>

Why didn't they tell me these two new details when I had technical and parts conversations with them the last couple of days ??? What else are they not telling myself and Ben ???????

does anyone there care that we get it fixed right ? I have now found out about two important technical details .. from their customers !! ..not them! Dang Jezsabell !

On 11/13/2012 10:19 PM, David Clarkson wrote: > I guess that it is the intermittent nature of the problem that makes me consider the starter bushing that Scott spoke of. Maybe in a certain position it might require more torque and draw more amperage than the battery can provide. I will check the wiring from the solenoid again and have no doubt that the reistance from the battery to the starter could be decreased with a better path (larger cable). This problem is just a bit unnerving and maybe I could bump the starter and get it to a position that would start the engine or maybe it might take the last bit of current on a Sunday afternoon after an otherwise wonderful weekend of camping in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception. Yes, as Ray Davies said, "paranoia will destoy ya" but in my eyes a reasonable dose of paranoia will keep you on the road in what is an otherwise very healthy Vanagon approaching the ripe old age of 300K. When time and better economic circumstances prevail I will upgrade the starter cables along with the long awaited second battery and solar setup. Really I will! Thanks for all the sage advice listees. > > David Clarkson > > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Dennis Haynes &lt;d23haynes57@hotmail.com&gt; > To: 'David Clarkson' &lt;dvdclarksn@AOL.COM&gt;; vanagon &lt;vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM&gt; > Sent: Tue, Nov 13, 2012 9:35 pm > Subject: RE: was no start-my problem is intermittant sluggish starting > > > > > Over the years I have come across many starters that just seem to turn very > slow. Even Bosch rebuilds. Real trouble shooting requires both a voltage and > current meter to see what is going on. If you are getting 10.5 volts at the > starter while cranking you can be sure you have a bad or mechanically > binding starter. If the voltage goes below that the amp reading will tell > you if the starter is drawing too much current or the battery-cables cannot > keep up. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > David Clarkson > Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:13 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: was no start-my problem is intermittant sluggish starting > > I have a 90 Wetfalia with a manual transmission. I have never had the exact > no start problem that others are referring to but do have an intermittent > slow turning starter as though the battery is weak. I have repeatedly > checked the battery and it checks out okay. I have even had this problem > when the battery was brand new. The starter has been rebuilt and all the > grounds are in great shape. I go over the ground connections all around the > engine compartment regularly. It seems that I heard someone speak of a > similar problem that involved something, I guess in the casing, of the > starter being ovaled out. I am not sure how I might look this up in the