Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Nov 2012 21:23:28 -0600
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Busted Coolant Pipe
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

David, thanks.

I haven't had time yet to get it up on a rack and see what the problem actually is. I just know I'm leaking coolant. I think I have a used coolant pipe I got from Unca Joel once. Tomorrow will tell the tale.

JOhn

On 11/14/2012 8:06 PM, David Beierl wrote: > At 06:54 PM 11/14/2012, Jim Felder wrote: >> It's a plastic pipe, right? How about cutting out the broken section and >> double clamping a piece of hose from a FLAPS in its place? > > If it *is* the newer plastic pipe, it will need an insert in the way > of the clamps to take the clamping pressure for more than a temporary > fix. Keeping the insert in position may be a problem, as the > molded-in ones on the ends migrate when the thin plastic that > captures them breaks. Go Westy has a kit of mechanical retainers to > hold those inserts in place, but they're made specifically for the > four ends of the original pipes. Someone local could likely come up > with something that might work, but replacing the pipe is probably > the realistic thing to do. > > In the mean time, a good application of silicone Rescue Tape(TM) > might buy you time to deal with it on your schedule/budget. If you > make sure the ends are well fused and captured with an overlay of > tape or wire so they don't start peeling back, it could last for > years. Access to get the tape around the pipe without it getting all > crudded up will make a big difference. > > Yrs, > d >