Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Nov 2012 23:12:37 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: LED Tail Lights
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

People are so dumb about 'following' the car in front of them that you can slow down to 30 in a 60 mph zone and they STILL won't get the idea to go around !

the way I handle that..say I'm in the right lane on a multi-lane hwy .. they 'lock on' ....and just wont' go around...heck .. I had a cop do this to me !! he's on my tail .....I'm not going to speed up and I'm not going to just let him ride my rear end .. what you do then is ... move over one lane to theleft ..then your 'normal idiot' then wakes up , notices there isn't a car right in front of them .. so they speed up and pass you .. then you go back to the lane you were in . Works just great.

inthe case of that cop ....I was medium sure it was a cop ( this was at night ) and I had seen him pull out a couple miles back in town .... so I'm going the speed limit .......and I don't let people shadow me like that.. so I do move my 'move left' thing . he goes by ....but then he goes into a Rest Stop that happened to be right thereso he'll be behnd me again. so I figure ..either I just mind m own business and keep on going or pull into the Rest Stop and go to the bathroom to avoid him. . SoI stay on the freeway. He watches me goon by on the freeway from the rest stop .... and pulls out again behind me ...but this time he stays back.

about being a bicyclist .. many carand truck driver's don't recognize bicyclistsas legitimate road users. Is there any lawabout moving over at all ?

On 11/9/2012 12:36 PM, Don Hanson wrote: > I think there is an epidemic of "Wrist-lock"....Like they can't manage to > slightly bend their wrists to change lanes. > > Happens to me when I am on my bicycle, too. A straight flat very wide > multilane highway with no traffic except me, way over beyond the fog line > on the shoulder on my bicycle and one overtaking car or truck, who will > make it a point to not alter their position on the road one inch extra, > which they could do without expending any appreciable effort with a simple > flex of their wrist.....A couple of hundred feet of wide open traffic lane > and they will pass within inches of my left arm....and never give a glance > or a wave, like they are on a mission or something....Sheesh! > > On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 8:02 AM, Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@gmail.com>wrote: > >> I've got news for you guys, it ain't just in the West. They are all over >> the lower 48. >> And they don't do it just to VW buses either. They do it to all makes and >> models. >> They are just stupid inconsiderate drivers that don't have a clue. I've >> had idiots for >> no apparent reason follow me for many miles while I'm driving a cookie >> cutter vehicle on a >> multilane highway and then finally decide to pass and give me the look like >> I had anything >> to do with slowing or impeding their progress.... It's like they "must" >> be in that lane and no other. >> I don't get it. Those kind of people live in a black or white world I >> guess. >> >> Steven >> 91 Westy >> >> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 6:30 AM, Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com> wrote: >> >>> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans < >>> scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: >>> >>>> I have to shake people off frequently ...mostly when I am driving in >> one >>>> lane on a two lane in each direction road or freeway and people just >>>> cruise up tome ( mostly empty highway ) and 'lock on'. >>>> They love to do that in California. Extremely dumb drivers that way. >>>> >>> I encounter that behavior a lot. A car will catch up to me, come up >>> pretty close and then remain there for miles and miles. Out in the >> desert >>> and high plains country in the West, where the highway is just two lane >> but >>> there is no traffic and no terrain that blocks the view, drivers will >> still >>> sit on your tail despite unlimited passing opportunities. >>> >>> Curiosity caused me to once allow a following car to stay on my bumper >> on >>> 2-lane Wa. SR 14 along the shore of the Columbia River. I was curious >> to >>> see how long they'd remain there, despite them coming up pretty fast when >>> they 'arrived' on my tailgate. They followed along, about 20' back as I >>> traveled west at 55-60mph for over 50 miles!, until we hit the next >>> intersection at the 'town' of Maryhill. And.....That driver Glared at me >>> as he turned off, like I was 'holding him up' or something.....There are >>> probably only about a dozen miles along that stretch where a pass would >>> have been even a slight challenge, maybe two total miles of solid center >>> line in our lane over that 50 mile stretch. 65mph speed limit. Almost a >>> full hour of that car following me at ~20' back.....Nobody else in >>> sight.....Weird... >>> >>> It's often necessary to slow up to about 30mph before some goof behind >>> you will finally take the plunge and go around. I don't want anyone >> who's >>> driving skills are so shaky on my tail for too long. When someone misses >>> multiple chances to pass me and sits there for more than a few miles, I >>> assume they're on the phone, putting on make up, doing their email or not >>> paying attention in some other way and I gradually slow up to force >> them >>> off my rear bumper. >>> >>> It can also be challenging, in the Vanagon, when you encounter a >> gaggle >>> of vehicles where this 'following behavior' is going on. Getting past >>> multiple vehicles, all being held up by one driver who's too lame to >>> simply pass the slow vehicle....sometimes this isn't so easy....On my >>> sportbike..no problemo, but the Vanagon takes a bit of 'planning' to get >>> around multiple vehicles in one shot, or to leapfrog along a bunch >>> ......and you must be very aware (and prepared to take action) if maybe, >>> just maybe that dullard who's been following the fruit truck or motorhome >>> for 10 miles without passing will finally decide to make his pass without >>> first checking his mirror, right then, when you are going around him.... >>> >>> At night, it is especially irritating to have someone hanging behind >> for >>> mile after mile, though I 'get it' that passing at night might be a >> little >>> beyond the skill-set of many city drivers who're only comfortable on >>> freeways and multi-lane lighted boulevards. >>> >>> And of course, there's the Left Lane speed limit Enforcers we have here >> in >>> the NW who drive along on the empty interstate in the left lane at just >>> below the limit and give you the "Stink-Eye" when you pass them using the >>> right hand lane...... >>> >>> D. Hanson >>>