Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Nov 2012 20:34:29 -0600
From:         Mike South <msouth@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: is this a ground point?
Comments: To: Jarrett Anthony Kupcinski <kupcinski@gmail.com>

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Jarrett Anthony Kupcinski < kupcinski@gmail.com> wrote:

> That is, in fact, a ground point. The one I used in my own Bostig > conversion, as a matter of fact. Just make sure it's clean, and like Scott > says, using the right screw and a bit of dielectric grease can't hurt. > Anything that bolts solidly into the chassis can be a ground point > > If your alternator is putting out too much voltage, I'd suspect the > alternator. Beyond that, I'd give Bostig a call. >

You were right. I was reluctant to believe that was the problem because it was a new (although refurbished) alternator and I had already taken it off, taken it to the shop, had them test it on their equipment, they tested four times ("because sometimes problems don't show up until they heat up a bit" or some such), it showed good.

However, the definitive test--taking that alternator back out and replacing it with another one--did show that apparently whatever they test with is not sufficient to show the problem this one had. Which seems really odd, because it seems like what it can't do is regulate the voltage correctly, and wouldn't their equipment test that? But what do I know? Clearly, not much.

This was also, for the record, what Bostig said when I pinged about it over their new-and-improved ticket system.

As I type I'm waiting for the cylinder head temp to go up so I can do my final drive log. Hopefully final :).

Thanks, and thanks Scott and Bill Monk for your input as well.

mike