Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Nov 2012 19:04:22 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: busdepot
Comments: To: ralph meyermann <ralphmeyermann@GMAIL.COM>

as you may know .. I always always always recommend taking the ofending mechansim apart first ! THEN .. see what you need. heck ...maybe it just needs some dissasembly and lubing and careful putting back together. That's how I fix about half of what I fix ...even more than that.

And are you trying to tell me that most people have not been taking things apart that don't work ....seeing how they work, and putting them back together so they work like ...their whole life ???

I thought everyone did! I've been doing that over 6 decades. Most of the time that's all that's needed..or very often.

besides.. when you get the parts first ... 3/4ths of the time one of these happens .. 1. you didn't need the part/s you got because it's someting else. 2. you got the wrong parts or not all of the ones you need.

this is the ideal cycle of fixing anything on a vanagon - 1. take apart and inspect. ( sometimes it's just a little tweak or cleaning, adjustment, etc. ) 2. if you need parts...then get the parts. ( which can mean lletting it sit apart and unusable ...but it gets you a better result in the end ) 3. then do the work. 4. then test fuction and test drive etc...

everytime ..that will get you the best result .. inspect, and inspect and diagnose first.

of course....if people want to ask what parts they need ....or ask and not say what year/version/engine van they have .. or any of that ..before actually **looking** ... that just adds to the fun of the list ! But it's not a very smart way to fix a vanagon. Inspect first for the best chance of an efffective repair, and getting exactly the part you need.

I suppose ............maybe people see fixing something on their van as a necessary evil, and not a rewarding process.. in that case...yes, by all means .. hit the internet first ! That won't change what's actually going on in the van .. but it does delay having to actually touch something on it, or ...gasp ........actually think !

there's a neat trick on the lower throttle bell crank mechasim cover btw .. so you can do all your throttle adjusting nicely with the cover not in the way .. then put it on last step when you're perfectly satisfied with how the throttle work.

( is this really why they invented the throttle-by-wire system ? )

On 11/15/2012 6:05 PM, ralph meyermann wrote: > Haven't dug in that deep yet,but the neglect by the po almost makes me > certain! > > Velma 82diesel 1.6 na westy > > On Nov 15, 2012 7:53 PM, "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" < > scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > > same question then .. > did you work it over to make it work nicely again ? > > I've never had to buy a whole new assembly .. ( if there even is such a > part available new ) > on dozens and dozens of vanagon throttle assemblies that I've worked on. > > > On 11/15/2012 5:26 PM, ralph meyermann wrote: >> There's the link,pivot lever and shaft it rotates ...