Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Nov 2012 19:21:01 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: loose rear axle nut
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>

I hope everyone caught Franks's post and warning that if the spacer is worn much .. the nut can bottom out on the splines of the stub axle.. rather than really tightening any internal bits on the stub axle ...spacer and races ... properly.

I have not seen this in about 50-plus rear axle bearing jobs... but it's a very good thing to be aware of.

scott

On 11/15/2012 6:25 AM, Jeff Lincoln wrote: > John, > > Listen to these guys!!!! I recently had to replace my rear wheel bearings - > when I put everything back together I must not have gotten that nut to the > proper torque. Everything seemed fine for a while and then I started to > hear rumbling while on a trip. We were 3 hours from home when I stopped to > check it and saw that one side of the cotter pin had been sheared off!!!! > That nut was loose as hell. We got some help and did the best we could and > litterally limped home. > > The bearings I had just put in looked good still but I replaced tyhem > anyway - along with the hub and stub. > > When you go to put that all back together you might think 360 ft lbs is > over kill but it is not. I wasn't smart enough to figure out the math of my > weight and how long of a breaker I needed. So I just borrowd a super heavy > duty torque wrench from a friend. It went up to 450 or 600 ft lbs or > something like that. I tell you when I got the wrench to 360 it was still a > way before I hit the next cotter pin slot - I don't remember exactly but I > was over 380 ft lbs by the time I got to that next slot. > > Good luck! > > > -- > Thanks, > > Jeff > '85 GL (Gertie) > '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus >