Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Nov 2012 21:26:03 -0600
From:         Jarrett Kupcinski <kupcinski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bostig conversion and vanagon gearing (was Re: New transaxle
              options)

Yes, that's the gist of my conversation with Daryl. My point of mentioning it in the previous thread was that he took the time to discuss the options with me. Based on where I live (Texas flatland) he didn't see much point in altering the stock gear ratios. I'm sure if I insisted, he would have been willing to give me anything I wanted. He did tell me that he does sometimes do custom gearings for Zetecs in hilly areas.

At any rate, to weigh in on the current thread, I have a stock transmission connected to my Zetec with 205/70R15's, and I'm quite happy with the setup. The van cruises easily for me up to 75mph, and 4th has enough range and power to keep me going when I come upon the occasional hill. Unfortunately, gas mileage suffers greatly any time I go over 65, (that's no fault of the transmission) so I tend to settle in around 65mph when I'm on the freeway.

In the city, the stock gearing works much better with the Zetec than it ever did with with the WBX. Because of the higher redline and power curve of the Zetec, I don't feel like I'm dancing between gears nearly as much as I ever did with the WBX. I'd agree with Craig, though, that it's about how you drive. For me, a stock transmission works well, and I thank Daryl for taking the time to educate me on his experienced opinion of the matter.

-Jarrett 89 Westy powered by Bostig

On Nov 24, 2012, at 8:19 PM, Mike South wrote: > This was in my email from Daryl: > > "For the Zetec, stock gearing is ok..I do occasionally put a taller 3rd and > a LOWER 4th in them for hilly areas." > > Actually I think it would be an interesting thread, Craig, if you don't > mind sharing with us. > > mike > >>>> >>>> On 11/24/2012 2:46 PM, Jarrett Kupcinski wrote: >>>> >>>>> I can put another recommendation for Daryl. Having just completed a >>>>> Bostig (and since he's got a Bostig install himself), I asked him his >>>>> advice on custom gearings. He talked me OUT of putting in a taller 3rd or >>>>> 4th, despite the fact that it would have been extra money in his pocket.