Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Nov 2012 20:39:18 -0800
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: New owner questions
Comments: To: JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>

John, can you describe where the chafing spot was?  So I (and others) can look at my own engine.

Rich San Diego

From: JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: New owner questions To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Date: Saturday, November 24, 2012, 8:18 PM

In my book - top of the list is fuel lines. I wouldn't take that sucker out of the driveway until every one of them was replaced. It's that important. And even after that - open the hatch once a month at least an inspect those suckers for abrasive and chafing wear. Last week while doing work with the engine running, I'm standing there and a fuel leak happened in front of my eyes. And I can tell you something - at a fuel pressure of 30 psi - all it takes is a tiny leak to pump a huge amount of fuel all over everywhere. It was a chafed point that I missed, and had rubbed a hole that chose just that moment to fail. It dropped the pressure so fast the engine stalled. So replace those fuel lines - then you don't much have to worry for 5 years - when they again should be replaced. IN the meantime - just be aware of the chafing issues.

Another item to put on your list - thought not critical like fuel lines - are the coolant hoses - particularly those on the rear underside of the engine. They are hard to get at even under shop conditions.  If you get a leak on the road - it's going to be miserable. Some of those hoses are pre-formed and some have diameters that change in size from one end to the other. Particularly around the water pump and oil cooler.

Prioritize the needs, then go after it.

John

On 11/23/2012 4:44 PM, Dick Wong wrote: > Hi, > > I'm new to the list.  Picked up my "new' 87 Syncro earlier this month.  Has > about 155K miles on the chassis and about 22K miles on the 2.5L VW/Audi > in-line 5 cylinder. > > I am going through the whole van and making a list of things I need to do > and fix. > > I found that one of the front half-shafts needs a outer CV boot.  When I > move the shaft, it will move left to right about a quarter inch and I can > hear it clank inside the outer CV joint.  The other front half-shaft does > not need boots, but it also moves about the same amount when I push and pull > it.  Is this normal? > > Other than the obvious CV boot, should I be also picking up the outer CV > joint also?  What about the other side that doesn't need any boots but does > have some movement? > > Thanks. > > -Dick- > 78 Scirocco > 87 Syncro > 12 Golf TDI >