Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Nov 2012 09:17:56 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Water Pump-High mileage engines!
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Well, you know that list is too long to print here! ;-) Taking four 2400 mile trips a year makes it likely when something happens he'll be a long way from home, and it will cost a lot more to fix. It also makes it more probable that it will happen at 65 mph and destroy everything.

I agree with you though, my 1.9 was over 200k when I replaced it, and it could have gone much farther.

Stuart

-----Original Message----- From: Dennis Haynes [mailto:d23haynes57@hotmail.com] Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2012 6:57 AM To: 'Stuart MacMillan'; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: RE: Water Pump-High mileage engines!

Happy Thanksgiving.

FUN BUS which will be coming home from being painted soon has 254K on the engine. While it is down a bit on power due to I think worn cam lobes, compression, leak down, and oil pressure is still good. Heads have never even been off. I intend to run this engine until something goes wrong. At this point I consider it very well tested and if it hasn't failed yet why should it now?

Now if only the transmission was as robust!

Dennis

How many more of these 2400 mile round trips do you plan to do with this engine? It might be wiser and easier to have it rebuilt, you are pushing the limit at 249k miles.

Water pump replacement is challenging. Plan on a couple of days, don't rush it. Then there is the system bleeding..... I love the Libby Bong for that.

Good luck!

Stuart