Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Nov 2012 21:06:45 -0800
From:         Tom Boldway <jboldway@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Transmission fell off

Ok, I know it's not FryDae but this IS VW related. One night back in the 1980's on Cape Cod I was blasting down a unlit back road at night in a '71 bug that was all souped up. Suddenly there was an enormous crash, I got flung up and down in the seat and instantly it was both dark and quiet. The assumption was the engine hand-grenaded. So I come to a stop and get out. Wander around and open the lid. My eyes started adjusting to the darkness and there was the engine under the lid - everything looked fine. Hmmm. Must have hit something like an enormous pothole or such - but don't remember seeing anything. So, looking down the road behind me - hmmm - what's that lump in the middle of the road? Time for a stroll. Came upon a black & grey mess - liquid, etc - and what's that - a big wire? It's a . . . battery! Dagnabbit! The car was so rusty the battery fell out and hit the pavement - but being taller than the clearance under the car - bounced the car up and over! Driver's seat of one of my buddy's bugs rusted through and luckily it was the back of the seat that hit the highway at around 60mph. Lifespan of bugs on Cape Cod was less than 10 years . . . .

Tom '84 Westy "Spiny Norman" '86 Alfa Romeo Spider "Dinsdale" and a few more . . . .