Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Nov 2012 19:22:51 -0800
From:         Aristotle Sagan <killer.jupiter@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wont start
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

All nice and good but that battery would have to be pretty dead to not be "jumpable", which he already tried.

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > Harry, sounds like you just did state the problem quite clearly. And I'd say weak battery or bad connections. Voltage checks at the proper places should reveal which. Of course, if a weak battery, it could be a bad battery, or a bad alternator, or bad connections, or a loose belt preventing proper charging. Are all the connections cleaned up and tight? Is the alternator putting out the requisite charging current? Is that new battery failing of its own accord? Also, of course, a weakness in the ignition system could compound the problem, and would often do that during cold weather. Again, tight connections, good plugs and so on, and a slow and labored cranking might still start the engine. Good luck. mcneely > > ---- Harry Hoffman <hhoffman@IP-SOLUTIONS.NET> wrote: >> I guess thus all stems from my inability to answer the question. > Part of it is a lack of proper vocabulary and part of it, seems to me now, a lack of understanding. > When I attempt to start the van a very labored, and slow whirring noise happens. I would liken it to a battery that is dying and not providing enough power. > This is different, in my mind, from the sound of a very quick and non labored whirring of a starter that hasn't engaged the flywheel to turn the engine over. > Even though the van is now at the shop I'd like to know the proper way to state the problem. As the way I stated and then tried to clarify it started out confusing and the added more confusion on top of it. > Cheers, > Harry > > Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > >>well... >>from your effort to answer my question . >>I got the impression the starter is dead , and not turning the engine over . >> >>so now .....evidently it IS turning the engine over .. but the engine won't fire up. >> >>then .............. >>re - "Except that if the engine were actually turning over there wouldn't be a problem." >>er OK ..does 'turning over' in this sentence really mean 'fire up' as in 'start and run.' ?? I suspect it does. So now ... it's still not Totally clear .. I'm guessing that your engine cranks nicely on the starter, but the engine won't fire up and run .. correct ? Probably since the 20's at least . people will say "my car won't start" .. and about 80 % of the time they don't make it clear if it cranks on the starter and won't fire up .. OR it won't crank on the starter at all. this is about the 950th time I've seen this in the last 10 years. And about the 3,000th in my career. generally ..if it cranks well and won't fire up ....trying a jump start normally won't help. It's also not a good idea ..jump starting a car ....for both the jumper and the jumpee. maybe the rain was so loud you couldn't tell if it was cranking or not. How can a Zetec not fire up and run !! ?? >> >>On 11/25/2012 2:28 PM, Harry Hoffman wrote: >> >>I really thought I did answer the question. The starter is engaged with the engine and is turning the engine over. Except that if the engine were actually turning over there wouldn't be a problem. This is not a case of the starter freely spinning. I don't know what "TS-ing" is :-( Aristotle Sagan <killer.jupiter@gmail.com> wrote: >> >>The question still not answered is "Is the starter turning the engine over (making pistons go uppity downtitty) or is it spinning fast?" Vital question. If it's spinning fast, it's the solenoid. If it's actually driving the motor, your TS-ing has just begun but it's not going to be the battery or starter. tim in san jose On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Harry Hoffman <hhoffman@ip-solutions.net> wrote: >> >>Yep, sorry I should have been more specific. It's trying to crank the engine but no success. AAA was here in record time, 13min, and since I'm in a suit, and it's freezing cold, it's getting towed to the mechanic. I would guess the the starter is original. I haven't replaced it, yet... I'll research remote starter switches. From its name I can guess it's function but I'm not familiar with them. Thx again everyone! Cheers, Harry Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: >> >>Does 'whirring' mean it's cranking on the starter ? If it's cranking strongly ....and won't start, check codes. if it's not cranking on the starter ... I always operate the starter with a Remote Starter Swtich .. That reduces the connections and wires involved .. and can provide useful info. Is the starter very old ? do you know the ole 'hammer trick' ? if manual trans ...........and it runs.......................just push start, to get home. Scott On 11/25/2012 12:17 PM, Harry Hoffman wrote: Hi All, So as I'm sitting here waiting for AAA I thought I'd ask for some advice. Van has been driving great. I go to leave from lunch and she won't start. It's a bostig conversion, and when I try to start I just get a whirring like it wants to start but won't. I tried a jump from my brother but no luck. The battery is less then a year old so it should be good. Tried rocking it in gear in case anything was stuck but nada. It is our 1st really cold day so I don't know if that's affecting things. Any recommendations? Cheers, Harry >> >>-- Where ever you are, there you be. Unless you're driving my van, in which case, you ain't got there yet. >> >> > > > -- > David McNeely

-- Where ever you are, there you be. Unless you're driving my van, in which case, you ain't got there yet.