Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Nov 2012 17:31:21 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 83-85 vanagon rear bleeder screw housing mod or repair?
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

hiTony and all, I don't believe the bleed valve closes off the flow in the nipple .

I've seen them repaired all kinds of ways .. epoxy etc. I've seen a small aluminum tube epoxied in where the plastic nipple broke off.

If I just 'had'to keep running with the very old part that finally broke ( that nipple breaks off if you just look at it funny ) ...there are creative ways to make that work again.

first ..get it off the van and clean it really good ...get it very dry and clean. I've noticed there's a little support gusset where the nipple goes. there is room to grind that out ..that gives you a new short tube to put your hose on.

or you could maybe cut threads in the housing and screw a small pipe nipple in there. The inside diameter is not very important ...its' really just an engine air bleed back to the top of the coolant pressure bottle. Heck .. you probaby could get by with that blocked off even ....though much better to have that part of the circuit working of course.

btw .. that partcomes in two versions, one for manual trans, one for auto trans. The auto trans versionhas two heater hose size pipe nipples on it ( for going to the auto trans oil cooler ) .. They also make a nice way to plumb in an engine oil cooler - the kind 2.1 wbxr engines have. Although, you also need a 2.1 exhaust system to clear the oil filter since it will stick out further with an oil cooler there.

I'm running that on my Adventurewagon ..2.1 engine including exhaust , intake runners, plenum, throttle body .. but all 1.9 Digijet EFI and 1.9 cooling system ..with the addtion of the 2.1 type ( used on *many* models of VW's ) oil cooler. When I put the oil cooler on, and added Water Wetter to my coolant .. I went on a trip late summer....my temp needle acted like it was glued in the middle of the gauge.

I have some already broken ones ...this plastic junction part.. if anyone wants to buy one inexpesnively to repair or have for a back up, pmialme.

Keepin' the less-rich Vanagon owner on the road. It's more fun to do a solid creative repair than to just buy the new fancy part - that's cheating for home mechanics without tons of cashola to throw around.

Scott www.turbovans.com

On 11/26/2012 12:33 PM, David Beierl wrote: > At 12:43 PM 11/26/2012, T Collins wrote: >> I hear you, but the $175 is prohivited at this time...so I have to >> find a >> temporary solution until then. > > Does closing the valve shut off flow from that nipple? I forget the > details of that fitting anymore, the 2.1l doesn't have it. If so, > just shut the valve. Seal off the other end however. > > Yours, > David >