Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Nov 2012 10:43:57 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Wheel/hubcaps "look" options
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

---- Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > Most early Vanagons came with those caps.

Well, my camper is a '91, so the caps were likely replacements. But for the life of me I cannot figure out why VW changed to the trashy looking plastic things when they had these good looking type caps on early models.

They look like Beetle caps. The beetle caps do not fit on Vanagons especially the front. I think the water cooleds were the first to get a full wheel hub cap. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Dave Mcneely > Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:28 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Wheel/hubcaps "look" options > > Michael, my hubcaps are the small ones that some describe as "dog dishes." Someone told me that there are none of that type that properly fit a Vanagon wheel. However, I have original 14" Vanagon wheels, and the caps snap on tightly and stay. Mine have a VW logo. In fact, I once thought that these were the original Vanagon caps, but I took a lot of abuse on the list for that opinion. When I bought my camper, these were on the wheels, and the seller called them "original," and seemed to consider them a plus, claiming that most of the same type caps had long ago been lost. A hubcap removal tool that works with these, by fitting into two small holes on one edge, was in the little tool kit that came with the vehicle, and its use is described in the owner's manual. The cheap looking plastic things were stored under the rear seat. I think he may have meant that the moon caps were original VW caps, but not that they were the original caps from this camper. But the use of the hub cap removal tool and the picture in the owner's manual are pretty convincing. I guess I am a little confused about the matter after being rebuked so thoroughly, yet having these artifacts at hand. I intend not to dispute the opinions of much more knowledgeable VW aficionados. After all, this is the first VW I have ever owned, and I had to learn a bit in order to be knowledgeable enough to even drive it. > > mcneely > > ---- MICHAEL H <vwdash80@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > > Dave, which moons are you using? I want to `unpimp' my ride and I was wondering about size for Vanagon especially with regard to the speedo cable end at driver's front. thanks - mike > > ________________________________ > From: Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET> > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:56 PM > Subject: Re: Wheel/hubcaps "look" options > > Jack, I have "mooncaps" on my '91 camper, silver-tan body. Much better appearance so far as I am concerned than the caps that you properly described as "dorky." I have some other adjectives for them, as well. I guess if you do go for mooncaps you have to make sure that the ones you get fit your wheels, as many do not fit Vanagon wheels. mcneely > > -- > David McNeely >

-- David McNeely