Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Nov 2012 10:36:16 -0600
From:         Mike South <msouth@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Gave thanks for my vanagon yesterday

Hi everyone,

So, yesterday I completed my "around the block" drive in my Bostig conversion. In my version, this is an overall check where you drive the car for about ten minutes and let it stop and idle a few times, then dump the log from the SCT tool and send it to Bostig. They check it over to see if there are any major issues (for example, my first one showed that my alternator wasn't regulating the voltage correctly).

I completed that drive and sent it off, then got to work on some other projects that had been put off. I dug out my headlight relay kit and got my 12-yr-old off the computer to come work with me on installing it. He is semi-fascinated with tech--you never know what he will find interesting and what he will find boring. So the first part of the installation we were supposed to check to see which was the input side of the fuses (apparently the whole thing can be installed "upside down"). That little activity--I held the negative probe on ground and had him do all the testing with the other probe--was apparently "cool". This sparked a lot of questions about generation and storage of electricity. It was good father son time.

I installed higher amperage fuses on the high beam side as part of the relay install because I was putting in higher wattage halogens. I got this set from Bus Depot:

http://www.busdepot.com/visionkit1/

I ended up doing the headlight replacement on my own later that evening. It was very satisfying to see the nice, bright halogens lighting up the garage.

I just like seeing things still work after I've made changes, to tell the truth :).

Oh yeah, one more thing I did was to finally replace a connection that I had done with one of those twist-on wire connectors (realize my van is still in project/test mode, it was never intended to be permanent) with a 3M solderless butt connector that Stacy Schneider sent me just because I was asking about what to use:

I Would use a non insulated butt connector and double heat shrink it . I > like to double heat shrink these connections,I use one piece that is about > 3/4 longer on both sides and then the next piece about 1 1/2" on both side > . > I have some real nice 3M solderless butts that are the best I've > found . Send me a P mail and I'll put a couple of them and some shrink in > Monday's mail . >

I'm not sure if the crimper I used was the right one, but it looked good and felt tight when I tugged on it, and the van started fine (the wire in question is one that is only used in the automatic--it leads down to a switch on the shifter that makes sure you don't try to power the starter unless you're in park or neutral. I have converted my van to a manual, so the two ends of that wire that used to be on either side of that switch just needed to be connected together).

It was a great day, made me happy to have this project that I've learned so much from.

So, the next thing I'm contemplating is that I got a big brake kit and a set of wheels (15's? Not even sure, but I think that's what I went with) from Van Cafe more than a year ago. They've been sitting in the garage, still in boxes, while I've done my famous fits-and-starts work on my Bostig conversion. Now that I'm near the end on the conversion, I'm thinking it's time to tackle the wheels-and-brakes. Besides the improved safety, it will Free Up Space In The Garage, which is an excellent sub-activity in the larger goal of Keeping the Other Half Happy.

Does anyone know of a step-by-step writeup anywhere of the brake conversion? I tend to need things to be really dumbed down due to the depth of my ignorance.

Many thanks to the list and its vendors for all your help in reducing that ignorance over the years, btw!

mike