Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Nov 2012 08:59:54 -0500
From:         Pat <psdooley@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: New owner questions
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Scotty, you sure read a lot into what I suggested. LOL.

I don't think informing a new guy about fuel lines and tire safety will scare him off.

And the track width/CG thing is "relative" like I had hoped to imply but maybe didn't.

Trying to stress the importance of good tires.

I know the v-gon is no roller skate. They actually handle pretty well.

But seriously-if I had the unfortunate experience of going sideways at even 30mph, I'd take a passenger car over a Vanagon any day.

Therefore, the emphasis on tires, regardless of price.

Hope that wasn't too scary for any new listers.

_____

From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans [mailto:scottdaniel@turbovans.com] Sent: Friday, November 23, 2012 11:42 PM To: Pat Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: New owner questions

wow.. we're spending this guy's $ left and right. Now he's supposed to invest likely half of what he paid for the rig in re-doing the entire front end... plus bigger front brakes, wheel brgs and shocks etc. etc. . and now tires.. let's suggest he get 6 new identical vanagon-rated tires so he can rotate 6 and still be sure to have 5 identically matching ones should one tires suffer fatal damage .. and shocks.. another $ 7 grand or so for all this .. ...sure, why not.

the guy's gonna be scared. I'd say ..sure inspect front end as you can while addressing the front axles and CV's .. and repair accordingly and put the rest on a list of to-do-later.

I wouldn't say they have a narrow track really. Their wheelbase and track is 'just right' ..so is the overall size of the vehicle. Not super-sized like so many modern vehicles, thankfully.