Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:17:39 -0800
From:         Dick Wong <sailingfc@DSLEXTREME.COM>
Subject:      Re: New owner questions

Hi Rob,

I will definitely look into the fuel line situation. With the engine conversion, I'll have to sort out what the mechanic did for this.

With the engine conversion, the only thing you see when you open the plate door is the cam belt cover and the power steering pump pulley of the 5 cylinder. It's pretty much a useless door now. The overflow tank has been relocated and the oil fill is in the normal place for the 5 cylinder, at the top of the cam cover (must open the engine deck panel to access). A Bentley came with the van. Woohoo!

Thanks for the vendor list, I've "virtually" visited them all and I was actually able to stop by Go Westy in Los Osos, CA. I stood in one spot there and could literally count more than 20 Westy/Vanagon/Syncros around me. It was a cool setting.

I've been to my favorite local junkyard a couple of times already. To my surprise, there was an 86 Vanagon there. Only one. Pulled some miscellaneous items.

If I see any Vanagon, I WILL wave.

-Dick-

Hello new guy & welcome to the Vanagon world & the Vanagon list! It's turning into a tire thread! There are very strong emotions about tires on this, you can look search for tire threads in the archives. My take is to get the best you can afford & that has worked well for me since the mid 70s. http://gerry.vanagon.com/archives/vanagon.html for the archives.

New owner stuff. Change the fuel lines. See where the gas line comes into the engine compartment through the firewall? That fitting is plastic if it's stock, old plastic at that. Youtube is full of burning Vanagon videos where the old lines or that plastic fitting failed. Behind the licence plate you see the oil filler tube? Take the cap off and the INSIDE slides out making the tube long enough to put oil in without the big mess. is part of The coolant tank at the licence plate door is the overflow tank, the tank inside the engine compartment is part of the closed coolant system, you will generally add fluid to the tank by the licence plate. The Bentley shop manual is the Vanagon "bible", even if you don't do your own work a mechanic in the middle of nowhere could use it to do work to your VW. It IS worth the bucks.

Parts & such... there are several on line venders: http://www.van-cafe.com/ http://www.busdepot.com/ http://www.gowesty.com/ http://vanagain.com/ From seat covers to skylights to transmissions, there are many vendors that have been & currently are being recommended

Need a recommended shop? Take a look at http://www.roadhaus.com/ (he does tires too..)

Other place I go for help-advice-ideas-used parts is TheSamba http://www.thesamba.com/vw/

If you see me drive by in my Vanagon feel free to wave back, I always wave at other Vanagon drivers.

Rob vwrobb@gmail.com