Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Nov 2012 13:45:03 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Van on Bring a Trailer
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Man I sure don't miss them ! BTDT they're about 5 times harder to worn on that a vanagon ( water-cooled vanagon that is ) in every way. I consider the 'unsafe antiques' .. very cute, and iconic and all that. Just not that viable these days, except as collectibles. Just not rewarding to work on , for me, after many decades of 'too much.'

Even the last air-cooled Vanagon I took in out of sympathy recently.. what a roach ! Horrible hack work on it ... and comparing that air-cooled 81 Vanagon to 'normal waterboxer' and diesel vanagons.. I get the impression that hack work on air-cooled VW's is pretty common. I had to tell those people don't bring this thing back please. Just think .. I may never have to duck under the engine cover on an old air-cooled Bus and fuss with the battery stuck back in there behind the tail light ...where the floor under the battery is eaten away by battery acid and rust. It's 'heaven' not to touch those old things! fwiw, I got my first VW and VW Van in 73... a 57 Commercial with side doors on both sides.. and a missing 36 hp engine, and split case non-synrco 1st gear transimission. 160 bucksin Tucson AZ. Got a ton of use out of it. Engines in VW vans ...I consider 'a new rebuilt one' about every 7 years to be par.

what fun VW's are ! scott

On 11/30/2012 7:11 AM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > My folks bought a 67 back in 72. I was 12. The engine went the next year, > the dealer replaced it. I rebuilt it at 16. I learned on that bus. After > installing radial tires the family joke was that tires lasted longer than > the engines. It became mine in 78 and I sold it in 81 due to excessive rust. > After that I had a 70 and later a 72. When I got the first water cooled > vanagon (an 84) after few years I realized that trip preparation no longer > included a pre-trip valve job. I miss those buses. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Marc Perdue > Sent: Friday, November 30, 2012 9:42 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Van on Bring a Trailer > > That brings back memories... We bought one new in '62 when I was 5 and I > loved it! Not Dad. After having to have two valve jobs in two years, he > decided it wasn't up to the task of driving our family of 6 and all of our > camping gear across the U.S., so we got a Rambler station wagon in '64. > Sigh... > > Marc > > > On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Roger Whittaker > <rogerwhitt1@gmail.com>wrote: > >> http://bringatrailer.com/2012/11/29/1965-vw-21-window-bus/ >> >> -- >> roger w >> From Proverbs: >> Under three things the earth trembles, under four it cannot bear up: a >> servant who becomes king ... >> ---------------------------------------------------------- >> Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ View the growing list >> of video work at: >> http://www.youtube.com/user/LastonLastof#g/u >> http://vimeo.com/42309497 >> >> http://www.prpeak.com/articles/2010/11/29/multimedia/video/doc4c62e5f8 >> 0d228504902172.txt >>