Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Dec 2012 21:29:30 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Strengthening Mounts Instrument Cluster
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

West systems system is the best you cajn buy. I've repaired canoes and kayaks with it for over 20 years. The resin's shelf life is like measured in decades and the hardner measured in years. Buy the best and only cry once..... Caveat... it doesn't handle high heat very well and if you expose the laminate to sun, you should mix in some resin colorant at 1-2% or if your're doing black, just pour in some graphite powder or black tempra paint powder. I repaired boats at the 96 Olympics with this stuff and a lot of the Euros had never heard of it.....

DM&FS

On 12/5/2012 7:35 PM, Don Hanson wrote: > One thing I've learned is to tighten up those screws slowly and > carefully, alternating screws as you get close to fully tight. Like in a > cross pattern...Don't just put your battery screw driver on one and run it > in till the torque clutch lets it rattle...... > I use epoxy to repair stuff like those tabs, but it is beyond a vanagon > list post to pass on exactly how to best do that properly in every > case....I prefer WEST epoxy for almost every task....with various additives > and the correct hardner you can do about anything with it, and it's the > best epoxy I have found for consistent dependability. Expensive compared > to some other stuff...but mine lasts forever, it seems. > Don Hanson > > On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Jon Durham <jon_durham@knology.net> wrote: > >> Is there a way to strengthening the instrument mounts to prevent breaking? >> -- >> “All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is >> everything. What we think, we become.” Buddha >>