Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Dec 2012 01:56:06 -0500
From:         Ed <email99@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Need recomendations for new shocks for an '85 Vanagon

I also believe in Koni Special Red shocks for the Vanagon. I've had Bilstein HDs on my 86 Westfalia for many years and, while they are long lasting and are adequate in controlling the springs under most conditions, they don't give the great control nor ride that I want. I believe the harshness some people have reported with the Bilsteins is more due to tires than shocks. My current suspension is Michelin Defender 215/65r16 Load Range 98 tires on GoWesty alloy wheels, Addco sway bars front and rear, and Koni Special Red shocks (P/N 82-2100 and 82-2101) adjusted to 1 click stiff front and 2 clicks stiff rear. The shocks are maybe 2 years old and I only recently adjusted them up from the original 0 click front and 1 click rear. Konis are adjustable only on rebound and if they are adjusted too tight they will exhibit "pump down" and will be very harsh, jerking the vehicle down with every bump or tar strip. When adjusted properly the compression stroke is firm but compliant and the rebound really adsorbs the energy of the bump without transferring motion to the vehicle. The result is a firm but very controlled and very comfortable ride with excellent handling. I find them greatly superior to the Bilsteins.

I also believe tires make a big difference in stability and in the comfort of the ride. Having adequate load capacity is absolutely necessary for safety and Michelin Tech Support confirmed the Defender (and earlier Hydroedge) tires in the 215/65r16 size with a load capacity of 98 were acceptable for the Vanagon while offering a smooth and stable ride. Truck tires with a significantly greater load carrying capacity may not offer the same comfort. While the now obsolete Michelin Hydroedge tires of the same size and load rating on GoWesty wheels would experience some fender interference on compression with large steering angles, the Defender tires have a softer edge profile and I have not experienced any fender rubbing yet.

I also have had KYB shocks on the Vanagon back in the early '90s and the Bilsteins and the Konis are both far superior. The KYBs strangely seemed to get harsh with age and were very uncomfortable when taken off.

This is just my opinion, of course, and others may have different preferences. However, if anyone would like to go for a test ride in central NC and report back to the list, please contact me by p-mail and we can set something up after the first of the new year. I'm currently replacing the ball joints and installing grease fittings in the ball joints, tie rod ends, and upper A-arm bushings to restore like-new front end tightness and replacing rear trailing arm bushings to allow complete alignment. I'll report back to the list about the grease fittings when finished.

Ed