Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Dec 2012 19:37:36 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil Change. Zetec
Comments: To: Bill M <billmonk@GMAIL.COM>

ok. ---- Bill M <billmonk@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Dave > A used engine for a zetec conversion can be had for 100.00 and up. I bought a brand new Factory Ford Zetec for just > over a 1,000.00. The price for the kit to install is seperate > from the motor purchase and if you ruined a zetec motor for > lack of oil changes. You would only need to replace the motor not the install kit. We're not talking cost to convert the > van to a zetec just the cost to replace a motor in one already converted. > > Bill M > Mystic,CT > > > On Dec 6, 2012, at 6:42 PM, craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > > I have a spare engine sitting on a pallet that I paid $100 for. It has > > under 30K miles and a warranty (assuming i use it soon). > > That's the price of three oil changes. > > > > -Craig > > > > > > On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@frontier.com>wrote: > > > >> Well I have had the Z in the back of the 8 5 since the 1st conversion > >> group. > >> As for the oil changes 5k for me since I do not do off road dirty > >> conditions etc. > >> Or if I am within a the 5k zone before a long trip. > >> Last year I did a 4300 Mile trip in 15 days, So just need to do a oil > >> change when I get back. > >> Been back for a few months and have not done the oil change but also > >> have not cleaned out the van since the trip either, > >> Just to busy and really do not drive it for much then trips. > >> Oil change in due and still enjoy the conversion. > >> > >> Jonce > >> > >> > >> Please do not take what I am about to say as advice! It is simply > >>> what I've been doing. > >>> > >>> I have about 10,000 miles on my zetec a oil over the course of about > >>> a year and a half. I last pulled the dipstick to check in August, > >>> and that was the first time in about six months. > >>> I even moved this engine from a different Van in that time, and did > >>> not change or check the oil while the engine was on the stand. > >>> > >>> The engine has mobile 1 synthetic, and I put a new filter on it > >>> sometime last year. I may do that again soon. > >>> > >>> What am I tryin to prove? > >>> Nothing. > >>> The last oil analysis I had came back acceptably, and I just don't > >>> see the need to baby a $300 engine block. Oil isn't cheap these > >>> days, and I really hate changing it. Yes, I actually enjoy changing > >>> engines more than I enjoy changing oil > >>> Am I crazy? Maybe. Please don't tell me if I am though, it will ruin > >>> the surprise. > >>> > >>> Your zetec is built well. The bostig sump holds a lot of oil. Modern > >>> oil rocks. > >>> > >>> -craig > >>> > >>> > >>> On Dec 6, 2012, at 1:59 PM, JarrettAnthony Kupcinski > >>> <kupcinski@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > >>> > >>>> Every 5000 miles/6 months assuming normal operating conditions. > >>> 3000 miles for extreme service conditions. The Bostig > >>> recommendation matches Ford's. > >>>> > >>>> -Jarrett K > >>>> 89 Westy powered by Bostig > >>>>> What did the engine manufacturer recommend for the engine when > >>> it was new in a factory installation? > >>>>> > >>>>>> Bostig recommends an oil change every 3 to 5K using synthetic oil. > >>> Since > >>

-- David McNeely