Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Dec 2012 22:04:27 -0500
From:         David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Solenoid/starter problem or ignition switch

I posted a problem recently of an intermittant problem of a very slow turning starter that I thought might be something in the starter that was ovaled out based on a post from a while back. Something else happended recently that I thought might have been the solenoid/starter popping back out from the flywheel where the starter did not disengage when starting until I revved the engine a bit. All was well for about a month of driving and then yesterday when I went to start the van the starter just kept spinning without turning the engine over. Moving the starter switch did not stop this and I had to scramble to disconnect the battery. Maybe something broke in the starter/solenoid assembly? Since the starter switch is as far as I know original and now has almost 300k on it I ordered one for under $7 from Busdepot just to rule that out. I am thinking that I will also take the starter/solenoid assembly out and use some heavy electrical grease to lubricate the moving parts. I did this on my wife's 98 Honda CRV when the starter wasn't disengaging and all has been well. I know a broken tooth on the flywheel is also a possibility but I have never turned the starter over inadvertantly while the engine was running so I hope that this isn't the case. I guess I'm looking at a shotgun approach and will look at the flywheel as it is positioned with the starter out to make sure that a broken tooth is not the problem. First thing that I will do is definitley the switch. Anyone have a similar situation and/or any ideas to streamline the diagnosis? Happy motoring and may you all have a safe and happy holiday season.

David Clarkson 90 Westy