Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Dec 2012 17:51:38 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday musings on the pleasures of the "old car hobby"

I don't call my Vanagon a "hobby" I don't even consider it old, though I guess 25yrs + is pretty old the way cars are judged now.........It is my vehicle of choice, picked, with a lot of personal consideration, from every vehicle available....though price was a consideration when I 'passed' on some of the modern vans, it wasn't THE consideration.. Simplicity was

.I require being able to fix my own vehicles rather than be dependent on dealers, towing insurance, warranties, and all that goes along with a modern 'modular' OBD-whatever vehicle....Yes, newer vehicles don't break as often, but when they do, it is often major! You don't often, with a complex modern vehicle, just pull over to the shoulder and go..."Hey, I know what that might be"... then.take out your Bently and the onboard tools and fix the problem with a couple of hand tools and a spare part, like I usually can in a Vanagon........No, you call the flat bed to haul you to the nearest brand specific mechanic that might have all the proper diagnostic machines and the skill to use them. Then you often have to wait for whatever parts he tells you are faulty...you have to take his word for it, often times, because that part is probably buried under twenty other parts or hidden in the wiring loom somewhere...I often find my travels take me far far from any tow service...and multiple hundreds of miles from say a Sprinter or a Scion or even a Ford, Subie mechanic......heck....from civilization at all....With a simpler older rig like my vanagon I can usually 'self-rescue'...

It's too bad the Vanagon is becoming a 'Hobby Vehicle' in my opinion. When trendy people start 'collecting' things, like seems to be starting to happen with Westies, the prices go up and they become too valuable to use, day to day...The vanagon really works for me as my main ride...but I do live rural and I do travel with a lot of dry camping involved and haul fancy stuff in a rainy area...Probably wouldn't choose one if I did a daily freeway city commute.....

I do have a few hobby cars and motorcycles around...88 Porsche 951 (944 turbo) a Beetle project, a couple of track bikes (CBR 600rr) I'm working on getting the beetle changed to a Baja bug, which I plan to tow to the desert maybe next winter...Poor Man's Syncro...

Don Hanson