Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Dec 2012 19:16:22 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Water Pump
Comments: To: Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>

If o-rings work so well .. why did the poster write : "but the O-ring had become hard and lost its seal over the years."

I'll say that even a used o-ring with a high quality black silicone on that surface will easily last at least the life of the water pump.

Why is a sealant used on the rubber outer water gaskets on waterboxer engines ? same answer.... bare rubber-to-metal does not seal very well after a while. ( not exactly comparable , granted. )

I just see a lot of leaking cooling system o-rings,

why do many modern toyota's mount their water pump bare to the block ..? ( except for their good black sealant being used there ) ............because it flat works,.

details in workmanship. Just putting the part on is incidental to the actual process of doing a repair that lasts really well.

for example...I almost never put any bolts in bare metal. I always put something on the threads.. so they wont' corrode, and so they come out years later very nicely.

for that I often use .......either . Permatex high tack gasket sealer. ant-seize compound, teflon paste from the hardware store.

# 1 and 3 in particular ..help .stick the screws in nicely .........prevent corrosion ( the main enemy ) and allow the fasterners to unscrew years later very nicely.

busted off cooling system fasteners like thermostat housing screws are no fun. Both the 2.1 and 1.9 wbxr, , and diesel vanagon ....all can suffer from stuck-in and corroded cooling system screws .. particularly the 6mm thread ones. ( usually 10 mm hex head ) . It's really really nice when they come out very nicely years later.

I use a lot of sealants and various similar products...all to make it last, and make it easy to work on in the future.

S.