Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Dec 2012 00:08:51 -0600
From:         Jeff Palmer <jpalmer@MYMTS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gas consumption higher in winter?
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Now here's an explanation that makes sense to me. Thank you Scott.

I live in Winnipeg, Canada where we get cold snaps that dip down to about -35C. I drove my Westfalia through these winters in all but the coldest of cold snaps. Oil pan heater, radiator covers, lighter weight oil, gas with ethanol (seemed to prevent fuel line freezing), battery blankets, battery chargers … this was the norm until I got married and we drove my wife's car during the winter. Never had the pleasure of a garage. I imagine snow tires would also get reduced mileage.

In the summer, I get about 350km to a tank. In the winter, about 200km. As soon as it hits about the freezing point, I notice a difference. Doesn't matter if it's winter gas. Doesn't matter if it's wet/snowy or dry. If it's cold, your mileage decreases. The non-scientist in me knows that everything works less efficiently when it's cold and as soon as you start moving through the air, wind chill becomes a factor. I understand how wind chill affects skin, but I don't understand how it affects steel. But it seems to. Always point the nose of your car against a building, out of the wind.

Winter gas formulations, expansion/contraction of gas … I imagine that would play a small role but certainly not account for my 40% reduction in mileage. Which I've seen across every vehicle (every brand) I've ever owned.

It is what it is!

Jeff