Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Dec 2012 05:40:51 -0500
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Libby Bong and coolant change

EXACTLY ! All this witchcraft for such a simple procedure. I do coolant changes here on Vanagons almost every week. No raising of one end or the other no Bong, or other complicated device. I have said this before and here I go again, one more time. Open the bleeder valve on the rad and thermostat housing, then with the engine running at idle fill the coolant expansion tank as full as possible. Now raise the RPM to around 2000~3000 and keep it there by blocking the throttle body or get a helper to hold it there. Now fill the expansion tank until fluid is coming out of the rad bleeder, close the bleeder, fill the tank, put cap on the tank, lower the RPM back to idle, connect the overflow tank which you filled to the MAX. mark and then let idle until the rad fan goes on and off three or four times. Close the bleeder on the thermostat. Let cool overnight and refill the overflow tank to the MAX. mark. The 2.1s are self bleeding and will always purge any air in the system after 2 or three heat ~ cool cycles. The 1.9s are a bit more finicky but the above procedure works just as well for them. Now this will be in the archives one more time, is there any space left ?

On 2012-11-30, at 12:26 PM, Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> wrote:

> My mechanic, Darrel Cook in Norman, Oklahoma does not raise one end of the van, does not use a bong. He says just do it right. I've never had a problem, never had to add coolant. mcneely

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 VW Westy, '00 Kawasaki 250 Sherpa, "98 Ducati 750 Monster & Lionel Trains (Collection for sale) Frank Condelli & Associates - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems BusFusion a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 06 ~ 09, 2013