Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Dec 2012 06:11:33 -0800
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Conversation with a Friend (LVC)

*I started to type this Friday night but took too long to compile. There is Vanagon content. I hope you don't mind remembering a friend. Below i**s a series of over stretching several days and nights. The text** in black is from me. Blue is my friend's.*

Hi Ben Looks like I've finally found the suspension parts I need, at the right price (@225 shipped to LA), The seller in Michael Tevis of Chico. Do you know/know of him? Is he a real estate broker in San Francisco? I'm also interested in getting a CHEAP set of fiberglass bumpers, airdam and side moldings with all mounting hardware. Obviously they wouldn't need to be in good condition, so long as I can repair them (I can do fiberglass work). They could be shipped with minimal packaging if already damaged. Know any such floating around, slowly drifting toward a dumpster? I have e-mailed H&R about race springs; it seems they don't make these for T3s, and their site states that they don't recommend their race springs for road cars because they are made to be light ie of minimal thickness and are at maximum stress levels, and any corrosion/cracks could cause failure. Their sport springs seem to be good, and are available for as little as $210 vie onsellers. I wonder what it would cost to have them make a set of thicker race springs?

> There is Michael Tevis who is real estate broker in Menlo Park (30 miles > from SF). I doubt this is your guy. I dealt with a guy in Chico which sounds > like the same guy. Bought an SA spare tank from him. Painless deal on Ebay. > Chico is 139 miles from SF as the crow flies. > Define cheap. Even damaged fiberglass bumpers are not really cheap. > Have H&R's purple springs on my 88 Doka. Cut bumpstops; install stiffer > shocks; you'll like them. If you really want to go racing, switch to > coilovers.

Hi Ben I guess I'll go with Michael, then. Maybe the two who have complained about him are not telling me everything. Cheap... let's say under $200 for the lot. Possible, do you think? The lesser the betterer. I have a set of new Konis waiting for the suspension to come apart. I'm thinking why pull it to pieces twice? Get those durn springs so I only have to do it once. Coilovers... can't afford to change now. Purple?? Regards

> Changing shocks in 2wd is very easy. Took me about 30 minutes to do all of > them on a lift. The springs can be a wrestling match but not prob on a lift.

Yes, but as I get older I less like getting my hands dirty... Regards

> I don't mind getting my hands dirty. It's getting dirt on my back (from > lying on the ground whilst working on a car) that bugs me.

And dirt falling on my face and into my hair and collar...

> Grit in your teeth?

Oh, yeah!! Doesn't want to wash out, either!

> I heard snail slime will wash out anything.

Don't laugh so hard (yet). The European garden snail (so common in San Francisco for decades) is a clean snail. Pu in the mouth, it will leave your mouth as it was before you put it in there. Good party trick. Slugs (snails with small internal shells) are a different story. Do NOT put slugs in your mouth. If you do, you might find yourself putting grit in there too to try to get the slime out...

> Me no likee snails if any kind.

Just cause they ate up all your papayas. Thanks & regards Snailboi (last few emails deleted because of content inappropriate for the List. May Snailboi have found peace at last)