Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Dec 2012 09:35:03 -0800
From:         MICHAEL H <vwdash80@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday musings on the pleasures of the "old car hobby"

well said, Don. this is exactly why I won't buy anything newer than an `88. never mind booking an appt at microsoft - just grab a wrench and go. um ... in a minute ...I just want to look. I am so captivated by the Teutonic angular architecture of 80s VW/Audi cars. before my Dasher I would/could replace the car instead of repair it because they were $100 - 200 and terminal. didn't have to care. during the Dasher yrs money was tight so I had to keep up the only vehicle I had. that econobox was almost primitive in its simplicity ! since it there's been 4 Jettas, a couple of Rabbits, the Scirroco, the Coupe and now the Vanagon. along the way experience has fostered confidence; a satisfaction of accomplishment. and a collection of parts I will not surrender easily. bottom line - can some one translate `physician, heal thyself' to Volkswagenese ?            =(: D)                  mike ________________________________ From: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Friday, December 7, 2012 8:51 PM Subject: Re: Friday musings on the pleasures of the "old car hobby"   I don't call my Vanagon a "hobby"  I don't even consider it old, though I guess 25yrs + is pretty old the way cars are judged now....I require being able to fix my own vehicles rather than be dependent on dealers, towing insurance, warranties, and all that goes along with a modern 'modular' OBD-whatever vehicle....With a simpler older rig like my vanagon I can usually 'self-rescue'...   Don Hanson